What's growing in western Tennessee?

Help Support CattleToday:

steerhorn

Reaction score
I have a question:
My wife and I are from central Ohio and have always enjoyed taking trips to Tenn. Having never been to the western side we decided to take a road trip to Memphis by way of Jackson just to check out the scenery and agriculutural interests. The trip was last weekend.
We really enjoyed Memphis, especially Beale St. Taking in the "Blues".
I was however, really dissappointed by what I observed with the rest of the western Tenn. along our route back up to Reelfoot Lake. The land seem very poor. I'd never seen a cotton field before, so I was pretty giddy about that, enjoyed seeing something different for a change. But we saw hardly any livestock, no hay fields what so ever, or pastures. Just cotton, some soybeans, and some other crop that I didn't recognize.
Which is my question.
What is that they're growing, which would appear to be a second cropping? It's sown thick, appears to be a grass or corn of some type. Maybe sorgrhum? Most of it was only about 8 inches tall or so, but I did see one field that appeared to be "headed out". It was only about 2 ft. tall.

What is it, and how is it grown and harevested?

Most likely, sudex or sudan. Its a silge type crop.

The reason you didn't see much in the way of crops or livestock, is that Tenn. is in the middle of the worst drought on record.

Would this be a second planting, and ,or, what does it follow in rotation. Is cotton planted in a rotation? I would assume so.
Just curious,

Thanks for the reply.

steerhorn":31ish2sk said:
Would this be a second planting, and ,or, what does it follow in rotation. Is cotton planted in a rotation? I would assume so.
Just curious,

Thanks for the reply.

Cotton is rotated with corn, but not in the same year.

With the drought several cotton fields were not planted in cotton. Then late in the year some planted sorghum in those fields to cut for hay this fall.

What's growing in Tennessee? Why Crowder Wimmin's, of course! Growing and growing and growing...

It's all starting to make sense now.
We also suffered a really dry summer here in Ohio this year. Bad enough that I just recently sold my cows due to the lack of available / affordable hay. (only 12 head). Never experienced a year like this in the 17 years I've been raising cattle. (Not my main source of income). Just couldn't justify the expensive to try and keep them. $6+/ bale grass hay, if you can find it.
Heck, with no chores to do, maybe I can spend the winter fixing the barn up and other things I'm always to busy to get too.
So for all of you down in Tenn., (and other drought stricken areas) I feel your pain.

Let's hope for a better summer next year!

I saw canola grown for the first time around here this year.