What ya think happened

Help Support CattleToday:

mind235

Reaction score
The guy that I keep my couple aimals on has like 28 on it. A few years ago one of the local guys lost his land and threw his one cow a longhorn on our pasture to keep. I just started to use this land but everyone comes byo to say hello and they noticed the longhorn which was bred with a hertford/black crossbreed last year had a calf about a month or so ago. They told me that it has had 5 calves and it never took care of them and none ever made it long this little gy was small when he was born but we watched very carefully and momma was taking good care of it. It was feededing it a lot it laid next to it and it cared for it just as well as the other 14 calves. It was always playing with the othersand alking around wagging its tail like a dog and would jump aroud and play king of the mountain with the others on this dirt pile. Everyone remarked they had never seen mom take care of one this good. Well I was working the fence at 10PM tue night and he was playing would come over to us maybe 8 feet away and wag. I saw him eat that time and he was putting on giid weight. Then wed about noon I see the vultures and go see and there he was laying there dead. Could ot see any type of attack or anything wrong.
he rest of the calves are fine. Any ideas? Had we seen it not being taken care of so well we would have taken him into a pen and kept it feed and taken cae of. I am a little concerned since the owner is let me remember what it is you call them....oh yes piss poor farmer. No vacs, twine everywhere, no worming etc. I was to get vet program on my stock but I think if a vet came out they would probally tell him if he don't clean it up he may be in trouble. I have mentioned about gettig the vet out for mine and he cringes but hesitently says after I get them penned up (which I cleaned out the 3 feet of manure and everything else that was in them). But I am concerned now if that calve had a health problem that mine could get siomething. I am just starting my herd so I don't want to lose any nor do I want to lose the place to keep them. I take care of most stuff like rotate pastures and stuff for him so myn calves eat for free . Baasically my heerd stays for free and I cant afford to lose that but nor can I afford to lose the place to keep them if I have the vet out and causes him problems nor can I deal with them getting some sickness. The dead calve 1- 1 1/2 months old, my calves were born ijn April.

I would have to agree with TNM. YOu could tell if it were blackleg by the crunchy hide. Do not cut open but take you had and feel the skin. Does it sound like tissue paper being scrunched?
A word to the wise...vaccinate. The passive transfer of antibodies would be helpful.
Good luck

RR

Just because you saw it nursing doesn;t necesarrily mean it was getting adequate nutrition. Since the cow (a loser that needs to go into CB chili) has lost her other cows I would lean in that direction.

Thanks for your input. I think to be safe and provide proper care for mine but not have the vet here and take a chance of something bad happening from the vet seeing conditions here maybe worth the bucks to get one of the guys with a trailer to load mine up and take em to the vet for the first check up and shots. Then I can do the rest of the vacs down the road as soon as I get something built to restrain them to tream them.

mind235":k70y7nfi said:
Thanks for your input. I think to be safe and provide proper care for mine but not have the vet here and take a chance of something bad happening from the vet seeing conditions here maybe worth the bucks to get one of the guys with a trailer to load mine up and take em to the vet for the first check up and shots. Then I can do the rest of the vacs down the road as soon as I get something built to restrain them to tream them.

if the conditions are soo poor there , how can you actuallly say you are providing your animals with the proper care? if your so concerned about what the vet would say or do.. Obviously there is an issure. i understand Its not your land but your animals are on it. i dont know. but i guess i would be looking for another place for my animals or just not have any until i can provide the proper care and locations for them.. why sink money into these animals if in reality they could get hurt or die because of the condition of the place.. jmo

Why don't you clean up the place for the man, after all didn't you say he was letting you keep your cattle there for free. If this gentleman only has 28 head and your cows "eat for free" why don't you vaccinate his animals along with yours. If I was getting a free ride I wouldn't mind helping him out, after all if you vaccinate his animals that's just one less disease you have to worry about your animals catching.
Trey

Latest posts