What would you do?

Help Support CattleToday:

What would you do?

• I still own the bull, so I'd collect him and keep my mouth shut.

Votes: 16 55.2%
  • Collect him and tell the guy after the check was in my hand.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Collect him and tell the guy before he shows up.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Call the guy now and see if he has a problem with it.

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters

slick4591

Reaction score
I ran into a situation this past Friday that I wasn't sure how to handle. Got a call from a gentleman about buying two bull calves and we made a telephone deal. I already had been thinking that it might be time to sell the herd bull and just go with AI, but I wanted to collect him before I put him up and hadn't had time to get it done. Just for grins I asked the guy whether he would be interested in him, which he was. Closed the deal on him too, but completely forgot about the collection part of it. It'll be three weeks until he picks the animals up and I get a check.

Just curious how you would handle the situation.

I didn't do the poll cause I didn't like any of the options you had listed.
All the options make it sound like you're being devious.
You're not.
He's your bull.

Is he going to a registered herd? If not collect him and use as you please, if he is tell the guy you retain a semen share only for own in herd use.

He is yours until money changes hands. He could back out, But I hope not. And unless you promised otherwise ......
I would not advertise and sell semen however.

Collecting the bull will have no more effect than him breeding a couple of cows before he leaves. Collect him and tell the guy you did it afterwards for in herd use. I would even make sure you retain a semen interest so you don't have to buy certs.

He is your bull, three weeks may come and go without you ever hearing from the guy again, hopefully not but you have no obligation to be concerned at this point, and it isn't going to hurt the bull any to collect.

I appreciate everyone's comments and opinions!

This bull is going into a registered herd and to one of the board members of the association. Also, I didn't want to do anything that would give a remote chance of appearing underhanded. Since I posted this poll after I did what I felt confortable with, I guess I'm just checking my decision.

I called the gentleman on Saturday and told him my delimma and he said to go ahead and collect him, even offered to do it for me as he intends to do it once he gets him home. I did stipulate that I was not interested in selling any, just my herd use like KNERSIE said. I just felt like it was the correct thing for me to do.

I guess if I had done it before the deal was made it wouldn't have weighed on me like it did. I figure getting a bad reputation on my very first private treaty sale wouldn't have been in my best interest. Anyway, thanks again!

If you closed the deal, I think it might be too late to tell him you retain the right to collect semen. I would not like for someone to throw that in at the end. It could create some negative business if you sell a lot of bulls to the public.
I would go ahead and collect him while he is still in your ownership. He is on your property, and you have not been paid, so legally, he is still your bull. Pull the semen now. If you feel bad about pulling the semen and are going to register the calves, you might want to tell him that you liked the bull so much that you pulled some semen from him earlier to try on some good cows. That would not upset me. If he is reasonable, he will be proud that you liked the bull as well. If you AI to good cows, it will only make his bull look better.

honesty is always the best policy.....
the guy would probably be happy to know that you like the bull enough to want to go to this expense....

Like I earlier said I had to do what I felt right for me. That was to make sure the buyer didn't object to it. I think had I already collected him I would have made that clear during negotiations. If I were buying a registered bull I would want to know that so I wouldn't be surprised when calves started popping up. If I had a cross breeding program going then my thinking probably would be a little different.

Wouldn't really think it would matter, I would take it as this must be a good bull if the previous owner wants semen to use after the bull is gone. It would actually give me a little confidence in my decision to buy him in that case. Sounds like an honest cattleman to me, I hope the industry can hold onto a few of those for the future. Keep it up

I went for # 4 as I felt it was the right thing to do, I have a good rep, when I sell animals or buy so I want to keep it that way
Suzanne

pdfangus":3vgmfpbq said:
reverse poll

who would you rather buy from....
those who voted 1.....
or those who voted 4.....

For me it wouldn't really matter. If its something that has no affect on the bull I don't know why I would care either way if he told me. If I buy a mature bull I'm going to assume the person has semen on him to use later or he wouldn't be selling him to another registered herd.

I would want all details up front as far as what would be expected of me once I gained ownership of the bull. If no strings were attached when I made the deal, then that would not be a "Bait and Switch." That is all I would expect. But, if the bull had semen pulled before hand, that would not interrupt my program at all.

I do wish I was raising Piedmontese. When someone gets a calf that looks like a Piedmontese, that is another breed, we all go nuts over it. All that beautiful muscling in the rear end and shoulders. And it is not going to be near as tender and sweet. I guess you chuckle eh?

Dang slick, you are raising my favorite kind of cattle anyway! If everyone had one Piedmontese cow with the muscling gene in their cow, and the calf was born with the genetics, they would never eat anything else. They would put it in the freezer each year, and if they only wanted half of it, could sell the other half and start them coming back for more. OK, I am going off in the left field again.

Latest posts