What would you do?

Help Support CattleToday:

Millerranch

Reaction score
I am trying to build up my herd. I have some money saved up to buy more cows. But, I do not have a tractor yet either. Pushing around bales and other things is getting old real quick. So I am trying to decide if I should buy cows or a tractor. What have you all done in the past?

Thanks

Tom

Angus Cowman":38ubyrh9 said:
jtbakv":38ubyrh9 said:
gotta have a tractor if your gonna have cows or buy alot of small square bales
I know several guys that run close to 100 cows that don't have a tractor
they all have a truck with a bale spike on it and if they need any tractor work done(brushhogging,spraying) they hire it done

Yep...or get one of those "bale buggies" and pull it with the truck. Lots of folks use those down this way.

TexasBred":3rui3660 said:
Angus Cowman":3rui3660 said:
jtbakv":3rui3660 said:
they all have a truck with a bale spike on it and if they need any tractor work done(brushhogging,spraying) they hire it done

Yep...or get one of those "bale buggies" and pull it with the truck. Lots of folks use those down this way.

Gotta agree with AC & TB, tractor not necessary.

Cows generate income. Unless you hire it out, tractor just generates expense.

For round bales get a hay buggy. Thats what I use and have quite a few cattle but no tractor. Probably find a used buggy on craigslist for a few hundred $ and buy cows with the rest.

If you're looking at the bottom line, buy a hay buggy and more cows. Otherwise, it's an excuse to buy a tractor

Just my 2 cents worth.

dun":22gvz0ff said:
E in PA":22gvz0ff said:
I vote tractor. But how exactly does a spike on a truck work? I assume it attaches to the hitch?
The pivot part is on the bumper and either a cable to a winch in the bed or hydraulics raises and lowers it.
For instance:
http://www.hayspear.com/category/hayspe ... hay_units/
most just use a slide in self contained unit and can be bought new for around $1200 a good used one will run around $800 or you can get a bale bumper like Dun referred to for around 2000
the self contained units hook over the gooseneck ball in your trucK and can be put in and out fairly easily
for just putting out bales of hay I would lots rather have one mounted on a truck than having to use a tractor all the time
I fed a couple hundred head of cows a day and the only thing we use the tractor for is getting bales out of the barn
we feed with trucks all the time

Yeah it seems there is about 4 times per year that I really really need a tractor or just that it would make life easier. I think I will go the hay dolly route. I can rent a nice Kubota tractor with a loader and brushhog for 190 per weekend. doing that 4 times a year is still way cheaper than buying right now. I can wait a awhile to get a tractor. More cows is what I really want.

thanks for the help.

Tom

Millerranch said:
I am trying to build up my herd. I have some money saved up to buy more cows. But, I do not have a tractor yet either. Pushing around bales and other things is getting old real quick. So I am trying to decide if I should buy cows or a tractor. What have you all done in the past?

How do you deal with manure if you don't have a tractor? How many acres do you have?

I have 100 acres, about 50 in pasture the balance in woods and ponds. I have been just dragging the pastures with a drag to spread the manure out (have two ATVs). No real pens to clean out yet.

I might see if I can find a cheaper older tractor that is in good condition to get by with. At least I can use a bale spike and pull some stuff with it.

TexasBred":g24ht39s said:
Angus Cowman":g24ht39s said:
jtbakv":g24ht39s said:

Yes Sir. Its a luxary not a necessity.

I guess I'm in the minority here but equipment is a must at my place . The way i see it is if you are in the cattle business you should be in the hay business . I bale enough to sell and pay for my equipment and fertilizer. I couldn't see paying 20k a year for hay .

Millerranch":c8le3cp1 said:

Thanks

Tom

I know several that don't own tractors or trailers. I haul cattle to the salebarn for several.
Now personally I did everything around here with a 135 Massey for years. Bought it used and sold it for more than I bought it for.
The first thing to remember the only thing you have control over is input cost, we buy retail and sale wholesale.

dimestorecowboy":2p3pekvk said:
I guess I'm in the minority here but equipment is a must at my place . The way i see it is if you are in the cattle business you should be in the hay business . I bale enough to sell and pay for my equipment and fertilizer. I couldn't see paying 20k a year for hay .

Yep but some of us crawl before we run. Equipment can be a cab tractor or it can be a bale buggy....a 32 ft. gooseneck hooked up to a hotrod or a 12 foot bumper pull hooked on to a half ton ragged out truck. As for hay. I'll let you hay guys do the haying and I'll buy it from you. You make a little money and we're both happy.... I guess I trust you to do it right more than I trust myself, plus I don't ahve the time.

Latest posts