What would you do?

Help Support CattleToday:

I'd call the salebarn and ask them to send me the check.

OK enuf joking. How can someone sell cattle in your name. Are they stealing your identity and selling cattle with your brand on them? How are they doing it?

Not me it is happening to . A long time friend called me last night, asked me what i would do. The person who is selling the cattle works with a another guy who supplies the money and the calves. They buy from the south and the south east. bring them here and resell. They have been doing this for 3 or 4 years. Person who is selling the calves has worked for all the sale barns around here for years. Most of the barns have cut him from selling the trader calves at there barns. This person has hauled cattle for alot of local people for years, so in order to unload the trader calves he will have them tagged in as someone elses cattle and pick up the check for for the person he sold the cattle in there name. He is a least guilty of forgery as he has to sign the check to cash it.

Red Bull Breeder":2118m2x8 said:
Not me it is happening to . A long time friend called me last night, asked me what i would do. The person who is selling the cattle works with a another guy who supplies the money and the calves. They buy from the south and the south east. bring them here and resell. They have been doing this for 3 or 4 years. Person who is selling the calves has worked for all the sale barns around here for years. Most of the barns have cut him from selling the trader calves at there barns. This person has hauled cattle for alot of local people for years, so in order to unload the trader calves he will have them tagged in as someone elses cattle and pick up the check for for the person he sold the cattle in there name. He is a least guilty of forgery as he has to sign the check to cash it.

I'd call the police. If he can cash checks in someone else's name, it's entirely possible he has some ID in that same name.

I would tell everyone I know so he was shamed and embarrassed. This way he must stop his dirty business or move elsewhere. Sue him for impersonating me and report him for forging my signature. If someone uses my identity and sell nonhealthy, nervous or dangerous cattle, this is far from acceptable!

Its a quite a sorry deal, these two have sold calves to lots of folks around and most people who have bought them have lost a lot of calves shipping fever mostly cause they didn't treat them fast enough or with the right meds. They got cut off from the sale barns because of death loss on the trucks to where they were going. The friend that this happened to doesn't want to see anybody go to prison but does want to put a stop to what these notheads are a doing.He has knew the idiot that hauled the cattle and unloaded them in his name since they were kids. Wouldn't be possible for the idiot to do this without the otherones money. His name was forged to the check and depoisted in the money mans account. He has a copy of the check. Proscuting attorney has told him that the charges would be forgery and bank fraud at least. Bank fraud is federal. Don't no where this is headed but it sure needs stopped, peddling sick calves don't do any of us any good no matter who is doing it.

Suing --> costs too much money and nobody wins except the courts/lawyers

Yelling / Screaming --> raises my blood pressure unnecessarily and usually without getting my intended result

I typically choose the "confused" route... Tell your friend to call the sale barns and say that he/she is "confused" because they got a phone call from a guy that apparently thinks he sold a calf to that was not thrifty... but how could it be my calf because I only sell calves in month xx or month yy... I usually end with something like "wouldn't want to hurt anyone but how can we keep me from getting confused again since I always bring the cattle in myself (or use hauler ABC)?"

This puts the sale barns on alert that there is an issue of confusion and puts the burden on them to verify in the future without naming names and stirring the pot too bad.

[edited for REALLY bad typo -- sorry :oops: ]

He's your friend go with him and talk to the jackass, tell him to straighten up or he's going to jail.

RBB if this is a weekly thing I would tell your friend to show up at the stockyard and ask the people at the office if the check is ready. I would hang around if not. Either the guy will fess up to what he has been doing or your friend will have a free load of calves sold. He might find another name to put them in but I'll bet he would not do it to your friend again.
Also what might happen if your friend was audited and the IRS finds all these checks for calves sold in his name that he did not report income on. It would be very hard to make them believe they were not his.

Red Bull
I told you that if you and KT didn't stop I was gonna turn your butts in :lol: :lol:

I think I would do what Kenny described just go to the barn and collect my check there is no way anyone can refuse to give it to him or get him for anything because the calves were sold as his and the culprit will have to fess up in front of everyone there if he wants his money

kenny thomas":1wpg7100 said:
RBB if this is a weekly thing I would tell your friend to show up at the stockyard and ask the people at the office if the check is ready. I would hang around if not. Either the guy will fess up to what he has been doing or your friend will have a free load of calves sold. He might find another name to put them in but I'll bet he would not do it to your friend again.
Also what might happen if your friend was audited and the IRS finds all these checks for calves sold in his name that he did not report income on. It would be very hard to make them believe they were not his.
I like this the best. Free money sounds good. What's he gonna say? He can't turn the guy in. Plus, I agree, the IRS issue could get sticky.

As best as we can find out they have only done this to my friend one time. He has a copy of the check with his name forged on it and where it was depoisted into the money mans account. His banker has run the routing number and knows which bank the money man uses. Banker says all he has to do is go to that bank an show them what he has and the bank has to turn it in to the fed as it is bank fraud. We no of four other peoples names they have used this way. They have been hauling calves to Kansas and Mo and running them threw the barns up there.

highgrit":b8j184qo said:
He's your friend go with him and talk to the jackass, tell him to straighten up or he's going to jail.

He is my friend and if he wants me to go with him i will. But i sure as hell ain't the one who is going to try to pull him off of them. He is a youngun and don't have a clue how dam strong he is. Right about now he is ready to wring there necks. It has took me and his wife all day to keep him from it.

ANAZAZI":1ttsajsl said:
I would tell everyone I know so he was shamed and embarrassed. This way he must stop his dirty business or move elsewhere. Sue him for impersonating me and report him for forging my signature. If someone uses my identity and sell nonhealthy, nervous or dangerous cattle, this is far from acceptable!

shame and embarrassment wouldn't work with these type of folks. i would go directly to the district attorney. it never hurts to start at the top and this is the type of case polititians love..........

Latest posts