What would you do?

Help Support CattleToday:

Crowderfarms

Reaction score
If you spent 8 hours moving rolls in the field in groups of 10 (thats the # I like to haul if hauling alone)I'm going to move them later this week, and you made a deal to sell about 60 rolls, which I left un-sorted in another one of my fields, told the fellers that the sorted hay was what I was hauling back here, ahead of time and not to load it out. went out to our other Farm after work, and found that about all the hay I'd lined up was gone...I'm trying to find a friendly approach to this situation. Had it been 10 years ago, I would have told them to take it back out to the Farm, shove it where the Sun dont shine- or else. Any ideas?

Sound like they owe you your time of course with the equipment cost.

Who are the people that moved the hay. Do you think it was actually the guy you made the deal with or did he send some flunkies out there and forget to tell them. I'd go straight to him and let him know I spent 8 hours of my time doing this and I didn't appreciate him taking my hay when all I was doing was trying to help him out. I wouldn't be ugly but I would let him no I wasn't a happy camper. And yeah, I'd let him make it right if offered.

Jogeephus":1gio7z6a said:
Who are the people that moved the hay. Do you think it was actually the guy you made the deal with or did he send some flunkies out there and forget to tell them. I'd go straight to him and let him know I spent 8 hours of my time doing this and I didn't appreciate him taking my hay when all I was doing was trying to help him out. I wouldn't be ugly but I would let him no I wasn't a happy camper. And yeah, I'd let him make it right if offered.

I spent most of Sunday out there grouping it up. Called him Sunday night and told him I was fixin' to move it out. He was out there with one other man. Seems to me they got a case of the lazy ass and did not want to cross the branch with what they were supposed to get.

Maybe he'll be one of those guys that gets a special price next time he buys hay from you?

Walt

OOOOOOHHHH, I'd be upset alright. I don't know how I'd handle it but I'm sure you will do a better job than I would cause people can't help being stupid but they chose to be lazy. I can't tolerate laziness. Especially since you told him not to get it.

But, you own a feed store don't you? So I'm assuming this fella is one of your customers. Better put the muzzle on or you could lose some business cause shlts like that usually got big mouths. You got every right to be mad but in the long run it wouldn't pay you to push it to far. JMO

Crowderfarms":3monbvst said:
If you spent 8 hours moving rolls in the field in groups of 10 (thats the # I like to haul if hauling alone)I'm going to move them later this week, and you made a deal to sell about 60 rolls, which I left un-sorted in another one of my fields, told the fellers that the sorted hay was what I was hauling back here, ahead of time and not to load it out. went out to our other Farm after work, and found that about all the hay I'd lined up was gone...I'm trying to find a friendly approach to this situation. Had it been 10 years ago, I would have told them to take it back out to the Farm, shove it where the Sun dont shine- or else. Any ideas?

You mean as dry as it is you have hay to sell?

Couple things come to mind Crowder. I would confront him as to why your sorted hay was taken. Then I would give him two options, #1 Pay more for the work you did. #2 He sends someone out to sort the remainder. ;-)

I had this happen to me once, except it was with firewood.

We had some timber land cut and I while the loggers were working I selected 8 or 10 good redoak logs that I had them stack aside for my firewood needs.

When the loggers left, I was going to cut the logs up for my own use but hadn't gotten to them yet.

A fellow I knew asked if he could go in and cut some firewood. I told him yes but not to cut the logs I had stacked up for my own use. Well, he cut the logs. I never said anything to him but made up my that his a$$ would freeze before I would let him cut again. The next year he asked if he could cut, I told him I was not letting anyone cut cause some A$$hole had cut my stacked logs the year before. His face went blank, but nothing else was ever said. He never asked again.

Nowland Farms":20gwmgoo said:
The next year he asked if he could cut, I told him I was not letting anyone cut cause some A$$hole had cut my stacked logs the year before. His face went blank, but nothing else was ever said. He never asked again.

I like that approach. Thats probably the route I'd take. Let's em know you know. Beats the "in your face" way which usually doesn't change the results anyway. Good Idea!!

Crowderfarms":3uw4899r said:
i can see where you would be madder than fire.since you told them the hay that was stacked.is the the hay your going to haul.leaving theres scattered on the field.for them to load an haul.id charge them a hauling an stacking fee for the hay they loadedout.now mind you they probly wont pay you the extra.but id still charge them.

He knows what he did, and he has to live with it. I would mention it.....tactfully. I would also be sure he knows how much time and energy you spent working the Hay. Leave it to him to offer to make it right. If he does or does not, you will learn exactly what kind of man he is. This will enable you to best decide weather or not you want to have anything to do with him in the future. Screw me once, shame on you! Screw me twice, shame on me.

Texas Ranch Man":26izhw0t said:
He knows what he did, and he has to live with it. I would mention it.....tactfully. I would also be sure he knows how much time and energy you spent working the Hay. Leave it to him to offer to make it right. If he does or does not, you will learn exactly what kind of man he is. This will enable you to best decide weather or not you want to have anything to do with him in the future. Screw me once, shame on you! Screw me twice, shame on me.

That sounds like the best idea right there. But next time, I'd add a little to his price to get some of my money back.

Yeah, I would just conveniently be out of hay this time next year.

Had something similar happen, but it involved crushed gravel. We paid for the rock crushing, neighbor came over asking if he could have some gravel. Told him the crushed stuff was off limits, but he could take some uncrushed gravel. Went back and a whole pile was gone, so I know how mad you are. You know what they say about paybacks. ;-)
Already reported his kid for tresspassing and hunting with out permission. Not done yet.

Crowderfarms":3r9oj7g7 said:
Any ideas?

I believe I would have a little chat with him about the hay in the field vs the stacked hay, and I would definitely not have any for sale in the future.

Well since I've had a day or two to think about this here's my suggestion.

Call him up. Tell him you have a little problem. The problem is you don't know exactly how Mad AT HIM you should be. Should you be furious and never deal with him again? Should you feel burned and charge him double for everything in the future? Should you let him "make it right" and let it be water under the bridge?

His reaction will give you the answer.

Let us know how it goes.

Just my two cent worth
Cuz

Well,I wanted to set back and watch the responses. I confronted him with what I felt was a cheap shot. He actually had the nerve to say "I thought you sorted it to help us" He knew better from my phone call to him not to touch that Hay.

He'll be on "The List" next time he needs a favor.Anyway, I guess from now on, I'll have to babysit folks I try to help out in an emergency (Very little Hay because of the Drought) No Hoss not you....

I did let the feller know I have less than a day and a half off a week, and really appreciated him wasting my time. Some folks just dont give a flip.Maybe I should sell to the Horse people for 100 bucks a roll. I think not...

Yep, seems a lot of folks like the trick of playing dumb, because they'd rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

Just the other day ran into someone that my brain said "You can't trust this guy."

I got to trying to remember why I felt that way.

Couldn't come up with the exact WHY, but figured even if the details were lost, whatever it was the guy did, at that time I had made a decision to "never trust this guy."

Decided I'd trust my brain rather than ignore it and wind up getting burned again.

So one day you might forget why he's on your list, just try to remember he's on the list.

Latest posts