What would you do?

Help Support CattleToday:

5S Cattle

Reaction score
Last summer I bought 11 high dollar exposed Brahman heifers from a guy. When I bought them I asked him if he thinks I should run them with my bull to make sure they all take, he says yes. I ran my bull with them for 3 additional months(his bull had been on them for 3 also.)Earlier this month I'm thinking they're not showing like they ought to. Take them to the vet and 7/11 are open. 3 are bred to his bull and one to mine. I call the guy and he basically tells me he's sorry but **** happens. I say ya,I get that but I don't think it's right for you to be selling heifers that ain't even cycling yet. He calls his partner and says they ain't gonna do anything about it. So now I'm stuck with a loan to pay with a handful of calves.

Also the vet says I'll be lucky if one of them even gets bred because of reproductive issues. He recommended getting her bred (if I can)and shipping her to recoup some money. Told the guy about her too and no offer to exchange her or give me my money back

First mistake is buying exposed heifers for high dollar Money without knowing if they were bred or not. Lots of red flags IMO if he recommended you run your bull on them. With that I don't figure you have any recourse but I'm not privy to the details.

Everyone can and should learn something from this thread. As a buyer you need to know what your buying, as a seller you need to know what your selling. Who did you buy the heifers from? If you bought from me I'd do everything possible to make sure you were satisfied. One unhappy customer with Internet access can cost you tremendously in the cattle business.

It sounds from what little you have said, that you bought exactly what he said. They were exposed. Not guaranteed bred right? Then he said to run them with your bull also. First BIG RED FLAG. But okay, maybe one or 2 might have been short bred or didn't take.

M-5 is right on. Don't think you have much recourse.... And I would make sure I never bought from him again.....But if he didn't guarantee them, you probably don't have much to go on.

Obviously, this is going to do one of several things...Really p*** you off and decided to not have cattle....make you distrust all cattle people...tell everyone that this guy took you for a ride....Or kick you in the teeth and say OKAY I learned from this a VERY VALUABLE LESSON.

Was there a reason that you bought these high dollar heifers? Liked the breeding behind them? Liked their color? Something else?

I do not have any experience with Brahman cattle as they are frowned upon here in this area...and I think they are kinda neat but there is no market for them. I have heard they may take a little longer to mature and cycle but then are around for as long as most peoples kids are.....longevity....

That said, I don't think you have any recourse. And that I would not buy any high dollar animal without some kind of guarantee. At the least, all confirmed as cycling if they are only exposed. When we buy any cattle, they are confirmed pregnant or as opens, some may be exposed. But a heifer, I want a little more assurance that they will breed. Even preg cattle can lose a pregnancy from transporting etc. Bought 10 breds and saw a dead premie about 2 weeks later, and don't know who lost it, no udders, nothing. So as soon as this group is done, someone will obviously not have a calf and Will get checked to be absolutely sure, then the open one shipped.

Sounds like I'm stuck holdin the rope. That's what I figured. Live and learn. Guy claimed they were 12-14 months last February I believe. Knowing what I know now. That was a damn lie

Even with bulls with them for 6 months last year they might have been too young to all cycle. Put a bull with them now for 90 days and see what happens.

Lesson learned but ever buy private treaty with a guarantee from vet that there bred. Your best bet would have probably been the special sales in brenham caldwell or navasota.

Rafter S":3n6awzlx said:
Even with bulls with them for 6 months last year they might have been too young to all cycle. Put a bull with them now for 90 days and see what happens.
Yep. Vet checked and they're all cycling now. Behind the 8 ball now though. Was planning on selling calves in 3-4 months not in 12-14

bmcdonald":38dvvrg5 said:
Lesson learned but ever buy private treaty with a guarantee from vet that there bred. Your best bet would have probably been the special sales in brenham caldwell or navasota.
I got in a hurry. First mistake of many

5S Cattle":jse56boi said:
bmcdonald":jse56boi said:

Others will disagree, but borrowing money to buy cattle was one of them. With that being said, I'm sorry it happened to you. Maybe you can sell enough of them to make the loan payment and keep the rest?

Rafter S":1tclf4zq said:
5S Cattle":1tclf4zq said:
bmcdonald":1tclf4zq said:

Others will disagree, but borrowing money to buy cattle was one of them. With that being said, I'm sorry it happened to you. Maybe you can sell enough of them to make the loan payment and keep the rest?
Thank God I have an awesome banker. Helps when you bank at the same place since you have been able to walk up to the counter.

Rafter S":14e0cjni said:
5S Cattle":14e0cjni said:
bmcdonald":14e0cjni said:

I agree 100%.

Live and learn. I don't pay extra for "exposed"... ever.

I realize that there are issues with having to make a payment and all. I am hoping, assuming that you are working a job and hopefully can make a payment or even an interest payment from your own money. If they are all cycling now, I think there is a possibility of getting them bred and selling some/all as breds? At least to make the payment(s) ?
Be glad that they were at least healthy and you did not lose any. There is no way to make up that money. You do still have options, and hopefully you can come out at least close to even and not too much if any in the hole. It could be worse....

Rafter S":oiivk3ah said:

x2

Just because they weren't cycleing doesn't mean you didn't buy quality. Brahman influenced heifers will need more time but can be influenced to cycle sooner with a synchronization protocol.

Latest posts