What will she sell for?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bcompton53

Reaction score
This cow will go through the auction this week, and I'm just curious what you experts think she will sell for at the local sale barn in Kansas, or what you think she's worth. She's a 4-5 year old XB, roughly 1300 pounds. She's gentle, has decent feet. She's 6 months a.i. bred to summit. Her downside is her udder, she's not very even front to back.
Aside from what she might be worth, what are her pluses and minuses? I'm just trying to learn here.

I'm a sucker for nice udders, so I place a lot of value on that... That being said, she looks nice to me, straight back, decent length and chest.. no idea on what you'd get in your area though.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Son of Butch said:
Bcompton53 said:
curious what you experts think she will sell for
No need for you to be sarcastic... $1175 aka .90 lb

Bcompton doesn't have a history of being sarcastic as far as I've observed. I agree with your valuation but I wouldn't be surprised to see this cow sell for $1,400.

I honestly wasn't being sarcastic, but I could see how you might have thought I was. what I meant by "you experts" was...."you experts". People tell me I should just say what I mean, and it's something I'm working on....(ok that was sarcasm.)

Well, it looks like prices were down again this week. She weighed 1525 and brought $922. That's kind of depressing. Our weaned angus steers brought $1.56 and weighed 495.

Those are pretty poor prices.. I sold a 14 year old open cull cow that didn't look half as good for that earlier this year, she was 1475 lbs and brought .90 CAD, so about .65 USD, I sold some steers at the same time, about 700 lb yearlings and they were 1400CAD each so about 1050 USD

Bcompton53 said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Son of Butch said:

Bcompton doesn't have a history of being sarcastic as far as I've observed. I agree with your valuation but I wouldn't be surprised to see this cow sell for $1,400.

I honestly wasn't being sarcastic, but I could see how you might have thought I was. what I meant by "you experts" was...."you experts". People tell me I should just say what I mean, and it's something I'm working on....(ok that was sarcasm.)

Well, it looks like prices were down again this week. She weighed 1525 and brought $922. That's kind of depressing. Our weaned angus steers brought $1.56 and weighed 495.

Why would you run a nice cow like her through the sale barn? Why not try private treaty? Not being sarcastic either.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Bcompton53 said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

Why would you run a nice cow like her through the sale barn? Why not try private treaty? Not being sarcastic either.

Why would you sell a young 6 months AI bred cow? She sold for slaughter prices so something was wrong with her.

True Grit Farms said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Bcompton53 said:

Why would you sell a young 6 months AI bred cow? She sold for slaughter prices so something was wrong with her.

She didn't breed as a heifer, and we stupidly kept her, then last year she had a dead calf at term. Rather than selling at that time for cull prices, we thought we'd try breeding her, then selling as bred. Well, obviously we're still learning (so don't start lecturing me on how bad of a decision that turned out to be), and the sale barn said "anything over 1500 pounds sells as a weigh cow, not a bred cow. I didn't think she'd break 1500. That's why I didn't sell private treaty.

Bcompton53 said:
True Grit Farms said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

She didn't breed as a heifer, and we stupidly kept her, then last year she had a dead calf at term. Rather than selling at that time for cull prices, we thought we'd try breeding her, then selling as bred. Well, obviously we're still learning (so don't start lecturing me on how bad of a decision that turned out to be), and the sale barn said "anything over 1500 pounds sells as a weigh cow, not a bred cow. I didn't think she'd break 1500. That's why I didn't sell private treaty.

I think under those circumstances I would have kept her to see if she could successfully deliver a calve and then seller her private treaty with a calf at her side either bred back or open.

Live and learn, we all second guess ourselves at times.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Son of Butch said:
Bcompton53 said:
curious what you experts think she will sell for

expert on sarcasm, declares no sarcasm.......case closed. Meant to be sarcastic, I hope yaw know.

The giveaway is the dry bag. Six months bred and bone dry, you can expect to get kill price unless there's either lots of optimism or two bidders that don't know what they're looking at.

Latest posts