what type scale does everyone use

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I been wanting to put a scale in ally way when i build my system .there are some pricey ones and some cheap ones .i dont EID so i dont have a need right now for something that fancy .and im not sure about exactly where to put them some put them under chute ? never had one before .

Trutest. We have a section just before the chute with the scale incorporated into it.

Same here, Trutest and I have a weigh box before the crush. When you have them on the floor in the crush or chute as you call it, it lifts the cattle up just that bit more even if you have a very low profile platform and I find it makes AI and other procedures just that more difficult especially in big cows. I guess it is something you would get used to but I find it difficult.

Ken

Our current one is a Rough Deck, it and it's readout were purchased through Rice Lake Weighing systems. It is a nice big flat, low profile tread plate deck, set up behind the chute. Cords are heavy duty and out of the way. It is certified and the deck it flat, as wide as the ally/chute, and a solid 6 feet long. The cattle have plenty of room on it, and barely have to stop to get an accurate weight.

Have had a trough style one that sat in the same spot. Bottom of trough was too narrow for anything but a calf to stand in properly. They would step on the sides and tip it under themselves. Also, the cords were too light duty, and due to that and placement, were constantly pulling out from connections to the scale. Would never recommend this style to anyone that has cattle.

Have also had the bars mounted under the Priefert chute. Also a major problem. The forward force of cattle into the chute repeatedly sheared off the mounts. A pain to fix anyway, but having to move the cute first made it extra special. As other noted, it also makes it quite a step up in to the chute also. Most of our stock are FS 7 anyway, so making things taller is not wise. Now we have a bigger chute also, so the under chute system will just not work. I like the scale behind the chute anyway. You can have one animal in the chute getting vaccinated or whatever, and another on the scale, getting a weight and ready to go in the chute. :2cents:

trutest ,gallagher,rice lake, seem to be top of line another well known is digi star, .they all seem pricey to me but i just spent more on cowco sqeeze than i have ever put into any thing we ever had before.it wass cheaper than a formost and had a couple more gadgets formost didnt , prefirt was a joke to deal with the guy was just rude !
I was woundering how some of those narrow platforms worked out ?i have had some used chute before ,it worked for a while but wear an tear an rust did it in faster than i could fix it ,dad never wanted to spend money on a chute long as he a couple young guys around ! but the younger generation wants one so i bought her one,with palp cage on it,
Did find some other scale but not as popular, triner scale was very helpfull price wasnt bad either then theres some real nice people at b&b scale they have a really cheap set up to go under a chute but the fact height at chute like wbvs58 said was a concern .
im not looking to spend my childrens inheritance ! but what the hell there the ones im building it for !
there are two platforms within 2 mile but as long as there open when we need to weigh somthing they work !
but that dont agree with my new little vet tech ,shes kinda bossy , i like the idea at the chute myself but more people i talk to have them set other places like was mentioned here, like i said never had one always used my eyeballs for scale . still got a lot of planing to do on this !
I do appreciate all and any advice youall are willing to give i would say most of ya ran more cows in a few yrs than ever have so i do value your input very much . truly do !

I have a Triner Scale with aluminum platform for alley. You can buy the scale with just the load bars and mount under headgate also. Quick connect cords comes with it so you can put scale head up when not in use. They have rubber plugs on loadbar ends to keep sealed but I had moisture get inside the load bar once and corroded the load cell. I shipped it back to them and they fixed it without hassle. I know there are better scales but these do the job for me.

We've got a few old Fairbanks Morse scales on ranches that I really like better in some ways because a good man can weigh cattle much faster than a digital which jumps around quite a lot before they settle. Newer scales on ranches of ours are TruTest. Have a 20,000lbs. portable scale by Rice Lake in California too that gets a fair amount of use shipping from corrals without scales here and there. I really like it as well, we wore out a Norac and it was fine but Rice Lake has purchased Norac and I feel like they have improved their product. We need one in Nevada and I think I'll get one for there too.

I think mine are both trutest but I might be wrong. They came with the place so I haven't paid much attention to the brand.
The pen type scale is dead on and legal for trade but the under the chute scale is guesswork at best. It will get you within fifteen pounds but I could just average them on the good scale and do that myself.

Not to change the subject too much. But I remember reading a couple years ago about a hand held device that could weigh cattle just by pointing the reader at them from a distance. It was supposed to be pretty accurate. Has anyone heard anything about this? I can't find any mention of it doing a google search.

We have a tru test also, and it is inside our chute. The platform is as wide, and 5 feet long. It weighs down to a half pound. We can also take it out of the chute, and weigh our big round bales when they come in from the field.

Have been using a borrowed gallagher, it works well but will likely get a trutest, as I like what they have to offer - just don't like the price!

Latest posts