What type of waterer?

Help Support CattleToday:

Little Joe

Reaction score
I believe I'm gonna get some money from NRCS to put in automatic waterers on my place, I have the option of insulated tanks like the Ritchies,tire tanks, or just plain rubbermaid. Don't want the rubbermaid as I want something that won't freeze up in the winter. I'm in Arkansas so we don't ever get below 0 and rarely get below the teens. What type would work best in my enviroment? Any experience with the insulated tanks? I don't want the type that has to have electric. Pros and cons?

We have 2 Ritchie waterers. We're in central Ky and they do freeze up if it gets down real cold for very long. Where you are they would probably be ok.

Little Joe said:
I believe I'm gonna get some money from NRCS to put in automatic waterers on my place, I have the option of insulated tanks like the Ritchies,tire tanks, or just plain rubbermaid. Don't want the rubbermaid as I want something that won't freeze up in the winter. I'm in Arkansas so we don't ever get below 0 and rarely get below the teens. What type would work best in my enviroment? Any experience with the insulated tanks? I don't want the type that has to have electric. Pros and cons?

Is there a way to get power to them?

I have a Ritchie at the barn and I wrap heating tape around the pipes so it doesn't freeze, same as with the stock tanks in the pastures. Where I live it definitely does freeze so I also use de-icers.

If you don't have electricity & it rarely freezes, there are worse things than breaking ice in a stock tank (like in a pond - welcome to my former world). Depending how big, some people swear by filling old milk jugs with a mixture of salt & water to keep their tanks from freezing. Never tried it - it's easier to just go knock a few holes & pull out the chunks.

I've got several concrete tanks that are basically like a vault. Buy them new for $275 plus float. Approx 8'L 30"D and 42"W. They are around 350 gallons with Jobe floats. Never had one freeze solid. But we rarely get below 20 here.

Cobett for energy free. NRCS had to get approval for mine, but have used them for years before that. EQIP reimburses way higher for tire tanks though. Set them about a foot in the ground and they are more freeze resistant.

I have 3 of the 4 ball and 3 tire troughs. I like the tires much better. But I place the floats remotely in the ground instead of in the tire so the float never freezes. In the winter I place several gallon jugs filled 1/4 of the way with water and a cup of salt in each. The salt keeps the jug from freezing and the area around it also.

Look at the round concrete troughs. They are several inches thick. About 7 feet diameter. Room for several head at once.
Water inlet is bottom center so that water line will not freeze under the tank. Jobe float valve in the center of the tank so that the cows don't disturb it. Concrete and water volume hold some heat, so slower to freeze. Generally only freeze on the surface and thaw during the day. Install on a high spot with geotextile fabric around it and about 10 tons of crusher run gravel on top. Some of the concrete companies make them and deliver and set them.

Here is an example. http://www.alltexirrigation.com/water-troughs

simme said:
Look at the round concrete troughs. They are several inches thick. About 7 feet diameter. Room for several head at once.
Water inlet is bottom center so that water line will not freeze under the tank. Jobe float valve in the center of the tank so that the cows don't disturb it. Concrete and water volume hold some heat, so slower to freeze. Generally only freeze on the surface and thaw during the day. Install on a high spot with geotextile fabric around it and about 10 tons of crusher run gravel on top. Some of the concrete companies make them and deliver and set them.

Here is an example. http://www.alltexirrigation.com/water-troughs
You can use the remote float in this type tank also.
One thing I have learned is the first tire trough I put in probably held 800 gallon.
Last year I installed 2 more tire trough that held maybe 300 gallon. This makes the fresh warmer water come in more often instead of having a large area exposed. Less freezing.

Latest posts