WHAT TO PLANT

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
I have about 50 acre of native grass mostly what I call broom grass that accoring to the county soil conservation it takes 8 to 10 acres per cow they will share the cost for to plant better grass I was looking at offset disking it then sprigging it with bermuda in the spring. Now here is what has me confused I know a man that has several pastures and runs several cows he says the cost to keep bermuda maintained is to much that he would not plant it any opinion on this or something that would be better to plant . This place is in central Oklahoma

Don't quite understand what the other guy meant by cost of maintaining bermuda not worth it... On other hand, if he meant growing it fast to make hay...yes, fertilizer costs.

On our pastures here (Collingsworth County) we have natural bermudagrass pastures. No fertilizer other than cattle sheet. All it takes is water and in places where the cattle aren't eating it, it grows about 4-6" every 10 days. Our other place (Childress County) is in 3 or 4 different native type range grasses. Don't fertilize it either. Just rains on it. The grass grows up to 24" tall.

Bermuda is a very tough grass that responds promptly to WATER. It can be dormant in the summer and with a little rain it greens up and starts growing again.

Don't know if any of this helps... :)

Latest posts