what to look for - questions

Help Support CattleToday:

Irishred

Reaction score
Neighbors opened the smaller pasture up (where my little calf is) for the herd to allow them to munch on the getting overgrown grass. The last 3 days I have noticed a calf that is about a week old alone out in the pasture in the heat of the afternoon. Yesterday, the rest of the herd came in for its 'rounds' and she went off with them. Today, she was out there and the herd came in she going back and forth a lot amongst the cows and looked lost. During that time and as the herd was going back to the shade by the river she tried to nurse off of at least 3 different cows.

I told my neighbor about it and he went and looked at her and the cow. I need to ask what her momma's number is as it is one of about 6 that look extremely similar - dark brownish black. The ear tags can be hard to see but the herd at least walks past me now so I might catch it.

Anyway, for the calf, is there anything I should watch for that would show there being more of a problem like the start of dehydration? She has been a springy little thing and is very cute, always playing with the other calves. Just want to prevent another loss if possible.

Thank you.

TNMasterBeefProducer":1hnk9dpx said:
Just want to prevent another loss if possible.

I am afraid I am not following you. How many have you lost? What type of vaccination program are the cows on? ETC.

I'm not exactly following either. A week old calf dozing in the field while the cows are foraging often leaves it behind. If it is gone to long the cow will call it out and it will come. Once that calf is about a month old it is foraging right along with the cows for the most part and playing all the time with the other calves. They tend to group except when it is time to nurse at which point they search out their momma. Hence, everything I read seems normal for cattle ranging on grassland.

TNMasterBeefProducer and backhoeboogie,
Sorry, they have not had any unusual losses, just unlucky, nothing I haven't read on the boards. Raising my little guy and reading these boards has made me more aware of the cattle in general. I like to just go out and watch them sometimes. The behavior of this calf seemed off. She seems to be a happy and healthy right now. Being left behind wasn't a problem for me, I see that all the time (except for the temps we were having over the weekend). When she looked lost and tried to nurse off 3 different cows, none of which were her momma is where I thought there could be an issue. I made my neighbor aware of it because I am out there at different times than he is. If there is a real problem, I thought knowing what to look for would be a good idea so I can be observant and let them know. Don't want them to loose one if I can help prevent it by watching for behavior change or odd behavior. That's all.

So, Is there any odd behavior I should be aware of?

Thank you

As long as the calf isn't doing a lot of bawling for his/her mother, and is growing and looks healthy - I don't think I would worry too much.