What to do?

Help Support CattleToday:

cattlepower

Reaction score
Trying to decide if I should buy some bred cows/heifers to start my herd or keep running stockers as I've been doing. Don't have enough land to do both but enough to do one or the other. I'm in west Tn. Seems stockers are dang high now so I'm torn on what to do. :|

heres 2 qs for you how meny stockers can you run.an how meny pairs can you run.an will the cows make as much as your stockers make.

bigbull338":3a7bv2nh said:
heres 2 qs for you how meny stockers can you run.an how meny pairs can you run.an will the cows make as much as your stockers make.

I could run about 35 stockers and about 15-17 pairs. I figure the pairs won't make any $ at first because I've got to buy them and can only sell the calves and maybe retain some heifers. But the pairs are for long term. The stockers I feel are more risky this spring because they are already priced so high and who knows where the market will be when I sell in early fall.

We all would be rich if there was a definate answer to that question.
I try to run a few stockers and keep our cows bred. We sell freezer beef so we need a continious supply of steers and we tend to cull fairly hard so replacements are necessary.
Looking to retire so this may well be our last breeding season unless the kids want to take over but that is unlikely at this point.
The sales to Korea appears to have an effect on the prices this past fall or that is what I've been told.
Good luck to you. DMc

Latest posts