What To Do With Giant Satelite Dish

Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime

Reaction score
I have one of the huge Sat. dishes sitting in my yard doing nothing since we converted to a small dish a few years ago. Anybody found a good use for one of these?

ga. prime":12amw14o said:
I have one of the huge Sat. dishes sitting in my yard doing nothing since we converted to a small dish a few years ago. Anybody found a good use for one of these?

Got the same problem - I plan to cut it down. Been sitting on that post since we bought the place and never used it.

Landfill.

Bez>

Put it on a tall pole, up side down, and attach gourds to it. Martins love them. Its late for martins but next year they will find it.

Friend of mine used it in the ceiling of his house. Gave it a domed look. (He plastered over it) Looks good too. Who'd a thunk it?

ga. prime":of6pkwdw said:
Got some good ideas here. Some real good ideas. Thanks for the input.

Friend of ours has a fiberglass one. We dug it in and made it a duck/frog/misquito pond

dun

That's a good suggestion there dun, but I already have one of those made form a 120gal syrup kettle. :lol:

ga. prime":ua7e8zuv said:
That's a good suggestion there dun, but I already have one of those made form a 120gal syrup kettle. :lol:

I don;t understand why they did it since they have a 3 acre pond 100 yds from the house. I still think the raised flower bed is the best idea.

Drag it out to the rocky back side of the property where nothing grows but cedar and cactus. Forget about it for several years. Some day you may have an idea of what to do with it. (that's where I'm at)

We used one once for a tobaggon/sled... I say only once, cuz there ended up too many broken bones that day.

Michele

I picked up one of the solid ones. Aluminum brings a lot at the scrap yard. When I have a round bale out it fits perfetly over a hay ring. Sometimes it takes several days for my weaned heifers to eat up a whole bale and if it gets wet they waste more of it.
But since I'm going to square bales I think I will turn it into a roof over a mineral feeder.

Make a cattle panel deer blind and use the dish for the roof. Seen several people do it and they say they're nice and dry.

That sounds like a good idea but mine's perforated mesh. It would leak like a sieve. Mine's still standing where it was 9 years ago but in the meantime my kids have knocked a bunch of holes in it with golf balls. It's hidden behind a couple of big cedar trees so I hardly ever notice it. I guess one day I'll get around to pulling it out of the ground and hauling to the scrapyard.

I made a round bale feeder cover out of one a neighbor wanted gone. Looks like a big white mushroom growing over a roll of hay. Keep the supporting hardware.
I was trying to figure a way to flip it back to set in a roll of hay. Too heavy and would flip the ring. Finally just wielded 4 posts for support and pick it up with the loader and set it over the roll of hay.
Makes for a good conversation piece.

Latest posts