What to do with a cow with a severed teat.

Help Support CattleToday:

Todd 02

Reaction score
I have a cow with a severed teat (across the width) that is leaking milk constantly. The tip of the teat is hanging on by a half-inch or so of skin. She is no longer nursing. I had a vet sew the teat back together but it somehow tore open again.

Can I just cut it off? Will she ever dry up and quit lactating if the milk continues to leak from the teat? Should I try to sew it back together again?

Right now, I'm leaning towards a trip to the sale barn as is. I don't want to feed her over the winter if she's not a keeper.

Any ideas would be appreciated...

Todd I knew one dairyman that use to put about 50-60 ccs of strong iodine up in the quarter then apply a castrating band on the teat. This killed the quarter and the teat would fall off in time. Believe it or not it worked.

Teat lacerations all the way into the teat canal can be difficult to suture - and get the stitches to hold long enough for everything to heal, and even harder to get success if there's a vigorous calf sucking it - or if she's passing through the milk parlor 2 or 3 times a day.
Yes, she'll 'dry up', if there's no longer a calf nursing her and continually stimulating milk production; just leaking out through the laceration is not enough to maintain lactation - but, with that thing open to the world, she's at increased risk of mastitis. If she's worth it, and there's no longer a calf nursing her, I'd be inclined to try having it debrided and sewn again. Otherwise, ship her.

Latest posts