What to Add to Gin Trash?

Help Support CattleToday:

u4411clb

Reaction score
What would be a good mixture for growing Heifer calves aprox 550 lbs plus that contains gin trash? I know gin trash is not consistent from place to place but I am asking as if we are considering the average gin trash. Also heifers will be receiving 10% protein hay free choice and trace mineral blocks.

u4411clb":c5keugmn said:
What would be a good mixture for growing Heifer calves aprox 550 lbs plus that contains gin trash? I know gin trash is not consistent from place to place but I am asking as if we are considering the average gin trash. Also heifers will be receiving 10% protein hay free choice and trace mineral blocks.
Tell me a bit more about the operation. How many heifers will you be feeding? Do you have a way to mix feed? Do you have access to DDG? Is the gin trash ground ?

It will be only 12 heifers and the gin trash is ground and I do have access to a mixer. I don't have access to dried distiller grains. Only bi products I have access to cheaply other than the trash is whole cotton seeds and reject candy. I have access to corn soybean meal etc at normal market prices. The hay is not ground it is wrangler Bermuda in 4x5 found bales. I may have under estimated the size of the heifers a little they are probably 600+ lbs but am shooting for at least 750 lbs when turned out with bull first of April. Thanks in advance.

u4411clb":2sg23qkb said:
It will be only 12 heifers and the gin trash is ground and I do have access to a mixer. I don't have access to dried distiller grains. Only bi products I have access to cheaply other than the trash is whole cotton seeds and reject candy. I have access to corn soybean meal etc at normal market prices. The hay is not ground it is wrangler Bermuda in 4x5 found bales. I may have under estimated the size of the heifers a little they are probably 600+ lbs but am shooting for at least 750 lbs when turned out with bull first of April. Thanks in advance.
You're in the south so you should have access to cottonseed meal. Just for simplicity mix 25% gin trash, 25% cottonseed meal and 50% chopped corn. Should give you a good hot mix with more than enough fiber and adequate energy for growth and weight gain. Give the hay free choice.

Latest posts