What the heck is this?

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I have a heifer that started getting a growth on her neck. It grew very fast. It looked just like a wasp nest.....same color and odd texture. I don't know if it is a big glob of warts or a tumor or what. I put her in the squeeze chute to inspect it and spray it with some iodine and she thrashed around some and got it split open and bleeding. I was going to cut it off but on second thought wasn't sure if there was a vein running up into it. I didn't want to take a chance on her bleeding profusely. I called the vet and she said that I could band it and let it fall off. Since it was like a mushroom with a slim neck banding it was simple. Hopefully it will fall off in a few days. I still wonder what it is. I took a pic before the iodine, her busting it open and me banding in. Any knowledge on what it is? Has anybody seen this before?

0319001757.jpg

Hippie Rancher":27bhdbqq said:
I've seen warts get that globular but usually there are more of them. That's what it looks like to me.

It is bigger than a golf ball but snaller than a raquet ball. Pretty nasty. To me it looks like it may be a big glob of warts.

probably safe to cut it off on the outside of the band if it doesn't fall off pretty quick - just so it doesn't catch on something else and bleed a lot (and if you are weird like me you will keep it on a shelf or hang it from your rear view mirror ;-) )

kind of odd to have just one big clump - does she have any others on her anywhere?

Hippie Rancher":2h75icn0 said:
probably safe to cut it off on the outside of the band if it doesn't fall off pretty quick - just so it doesn't catch on something else and bleed a lot (and if you are weird like me you will keep it on a shelf or hang it from your rear view mirror ;-) )

kind of odd to have just one big clump - does she have any others on her anywhere?

That is the only one that I could see and I looked all over her except her belly.

Definetly 3 dimensional. Hanging off by a 1/4" neck. Kinda like an ugly mushroom. I was able to band it much like the scrotum of a bull calf. If it is some type of ringworm do I need to treat the skin with the green stuff after the mass falls off? I thought that ringworm was contagious? I have no other cattle with it and she has not been in contact with any other cattle since where she was at had not livestock adjacent to the pasture. I would think that the others that she was with would have it also.

rockridgecattle":1m9rm80z said:
Ringworm...we douse with copper sulfate, green stuff.
Since I have a bachelors in Chemistry I feel obligated to say that copper sulfate is blue. Shucks I am color blind though. Maybe I've been wrong all these years?!

One more vote for wart. Sounds like you got it under control, I'd wash my hands good though :lol2: .

Larry

novaman":3m7rd27n said:
rockridgecattle":3m7rd27n said:
Ringworm...we douse with copper sulfate, green stuff.
Since I have a bachelors in Chemistry I feel obligated to say that copper sulfate is blue. Shucks I am color blind though. Maybe I've been wrong all these years?!

Copper napathalate (sp) went to the co-op to look this morning. Never trust a husband who has only had two hours sleep a night for several days...lol

Latest posts