What snakes are there in Canada?

Help Support CattleToday:

South of here there are a few places with rattlesnakes, very few though. We have a few garter snakes as well but again, there are very few. Most don't want to come here, it's too cold and why I like living here. :)

I will post some pics of the Narcis Snake Pits tomorrow so stay tuned. It is the largest concentration of snakes in the world, 60,000 to 80,000. they are about 25 miles north of us. One of the most impressive things I have ever seen.

TK

Cowsense,
You're absolutely right about the snowsnakes... man, the highway was thick with them the other day.

I can remember when I was a small fry and Mom told me about them. I used to peep over the back of the front seat of the old car and watch them wriggle across the road in the headlights.

Funny to think I was a bit worried about what would happen if the car broke down - will the snow snakes eat us? :shock: Or maybe they just only eat little brothers? :D

Take care.

CattleAnnie: Yeah ,snowsnakes are responsible for a lot of vehicle damage; I've hit the ditch numerous times just avoiding them nighttime crawlers! :lol: Funny that they only show up late at night! :lol: :lol:

Australian Catteman,
Hope this works. They are non poisonous Red-Sided Garter Snakes. This pic was taken at the Narcisse Snake Dens. It is the largest concentration of snakes in the world. If you ever want to see it in person the best time is the latter part of April and the first three weeks of May. 130 km north of Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

TK

snakes013.jpg

TK Ranch":tamxo5ms said:
Australian Catteman,
Hope this works. They are non poisonous Red-Sided Garter Snakes. This pic was taken at the Narcisse Snake Dens. It is the largest concentration of snakes in the world. If you ever want to see it in person the best time is the latter part of April and the first three weeks of May. 130 km north of Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

TK

snakes013.jpg
There is no such thing as a non poisonous snake. They cause shock and fright which in turn causes chemicals (adrenal hormones, etc.) to be released in the body which, in large enough quantities, are toxic to the body.
Snakes can produce psychological and neurological effects which can even be fatal, such as a heart attack.

ALL snakes should be killed.

Oh no, Ryder, you've got your information a little mixed up... it's not snakes that are the dangerous species.

The species you have to watch out for are the spiders .

They're the nasty, scary ones.

Take care.[/img]

Thats interesting TK. Never heard of that before.

Is it a migration thing or are they there year round? What the heck do they eat?
Would seem they'd clean out the local food source with that high a concentration.

Western New York you'll find a few rattle snakes, a few copperheads, and a few cottonmouths. They are kinda rare though....you really gotta look for them most of the time.
Usually only see the more common non-venemous species here. Garter snakes, racers and such.

CattleAnnie":12fyv1y4 said:
Oh no, Ryder, you've got your information a little mixed up... it's not snakes that are the dangerous species.

The species you have to watch out for are the spiders .

They're the nasty, scary ones.

Take care.[/img]
Tell you what I'll do. In your honor I will treat every spider I can just as if it was a snake. I will end his earthly existence.

The snakes winter in the limestone caves and come out in the spring breed and disperse to the surounding area and come back in the fall to wnter underground again. If you are too late in the season all you get to look at is a bunch of empty holes in the ground.

Thanks, Ryder.

Actually, I only run a trapline on the ones that have the audacity to roost in the house.

If you think hating snakes is bad on a ranch, try being an aracnophobiac. Every outdoor activity from fencing to packing salt across the river means you're bound to have run-ins with gadzillions of the ugly little critters. Ugh!

That's about the only plus side of winter...no close encounters of the eight-legged kind outdoors.

Take care.

I am by no means a herpetologist, but there are quite a few types of snakes in Ontario. Of course we have the standard garter snakes, but in my area we also have the Mississauga rattler. (called Massassauga by the locals when speaking of the snake) There are also water snakes which are quite mean but non poisonous and other ones I don't bother to identify. We supposedly have Water Moccasins, a poisonous snake, but I have never seen one (I have seen rattlers) and they are likely endangered (they were close a few years ago).

Vicky the vet":13f2lr52 said:
I am by no means a herpetologist, but there are quite a few types of snakes in Ontario. Of course we have the standard garter snakes, but in my area we also have the Mississauga rattler. (called Massassauga by the locals when speaking of the snake) There are also water snakes which are quite mean but non poisonous and other ones I don't bother to identify. We supposedly have Water Moccasins, a poisonous snake, but I have never seen one (I have seen rattlers) and they are likely endangered (they were close a few years ago).
I've never heard of Water Moccasins living outside of the Souther US. I had no idea that they were in Canada.

J. T.":1dmadoi2 said:
Vicky the vet":1dmadoi2 said:
I've never heard of Water Moccasins living outside of the Souther US. I had no idea that they were in Canada.
Had Moccasins in northern Illinois (13 miles from the Wisconsin state line) when I was a kid.