WHAT SIRES ARE USING FOR AI SPRING 16

Help Support CattleToday:

Consider this:

instead of listing all of the possible sires in "The BULL of the Month Club", I propose that a better "Subject" for discussion should be, "Taking into consideration the overall Genetics, EPD's, DNA results of your current Brood Cow Herd, "What Sires Should You Be Using for AI in the Spring of 2016 (and beyond!) to Balance your genetics in order to achieve optimal opportunities for RETAINING HEIFERS FOR REPLACEMENTS???

Isn't THAT the optimal goal for improving your herd quality? Or are you just playing 'Button, Button Whose Got The Button" with the current batch of: The Bulls of the Month?

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":1zowu1ub said:
Consider this:

instead of listing all of the possible sires in "The BULL of the Month Club", I propose that a better "Subject" for discussion should be, "Taking into consideration the overall Genetics, EPD's, DNA results of your current Brood Cow Herd, "What Sires Should You Be Using for AI in the Spring of 2016 (and beyond!) to Balance your genetics in order to achieve optimal opportunities for RETAINING HEIFERS FOR REPLACEMENTS???

Isn't THAT the optimal goal for improving your herd quality? Or are you just playing 'Button, Button Whose Got The Button" with the current batch of: The Bulls of the Month?

DOC HARRIS

Last month, I actually went through all of my cows (even recently weaned heifers) and wrote down all of their data; EPDs, ACTUAL performance, phenotype, etc and figured what bulls that I either had semen on, or wanted semen on would work best. I actually had most of what I wanted already in my tank.
I hate to say that I ended up tossing quite a few straws out because the bull, or bulls were at one point a Bull of the Month, or others had just really stepped to the front, and I was not going to use them ever.

DOC HARRIS":2rzsebbd said:
Consider this:

DOC HARRIS
I'd be very interested in that discussion DOC, however, can you expand your comment by pointing out which bulls IYO are Bull of the Month members currently? .90 acc? What about the "hobby farmers" with smaller herds with a small sample size or herds that are still very new, any suggestions?

I understand whats being said here, but what is a bull of the month? In his day was EXT the bull of the month? Was Right Time bull of the month? Was Final Answer bull of the month? Is Ten X bull of the month? I'm sure it was said about all these bulls, but in my opinion these were and are some outstanding bulls, so if no one used these bulls of the month where might we be?

Personally, I am glad to see those who are knowledgeable and experienced enough to use some of the older, or lesser-known or "under-the-radar" bulls. I do worry that with every Tom, Dick and Harry (myself included) now breeding solely (or mainly) by AI, that we risk a loss of genetic diversity if we all follow a few bulls, like lemmings.

Till-Hill":1jq3hvo5 said:
dun":1jq3hvo5 said:
Citadel
Basin Hobo
Sakic
R294
Autobahn
Dun using some Autobahn this year? I think I may pull it out of hiding to make some 3/4 Simmentals this year.

This is 79E, dun?

I still have some Autobahn in the tank that I am saving for a special occasion. Love his daughters and granddaughters I have in the herd right now. If I could find some KSU Manhattan 38J I'd use him again in a heartbeat. I have a maternal line he really clicked with.

What I use this year all depends on what I get for calves this spring. I only had time this year to breed a few select cows whose genes I want to spread around with the hopes of a good bull calf for in-house cleanup use (I go with breed for the best female when breeding with bulls and heifers in mind). Might use TR Epic ST618 depending on how the daughters calve out this year. Still really love my Right Kind daughters but I have a son that I kept back whose calves really impressed me out of my heifers this year. My older cleanup bull needs to watch it - if they do just as well next year he may be out of a job.

mncowboy":mk3amr6t said:
SAV Priority
S Chisum
Sitz Investment
AAR Ten X.

Hope to use three of the four listed. Any feed back anyone has would be appreciated. Used Priority, Chisum and Investment last June and I'm anxiously waiting to see stuck.

Change of plans,
I just purchased
GENEX
1) SAV Priority -the calves I've gotten this spring are extremely easy calves, small and full of vigor.
2) Sitz Investment - big time calving ease, I only used him on 4 heifers last June but 100% stuck.
3) SAV Renown

I didn't go with Chisum this year, the calves I've gotten from him this year all came without any assistance but they're bigger then I was expecting. I used him on bigger cows and have taken that into consideration but in my opinion they're quite abit bigger then the Priority calves.

Its obviously early yet, anyone of these could turn out to be duds by fall but as far as calving, they're looking good. We were just a tick over 65 % conception on a CIDR Timed AI.

To answer the original question ... Heros and Andalou ... two fullblood French Aubracs with well-established production oriented track record.

shortybreeder":1xdf91jp said:
Currently sitting on Homedale Creole 135 and a son the of 010 Royal Accomplished bull. Hopefully I can get some Patent 8161 and some Kalimouri Meat Packer semen. Also need a semi-calving ease option for a Creole 135 1st calf heifer for her 2nd calf, preferably a more production-oriented bull, though I have been considering I-80, depending on how her 1st black PLUS calf sells in March.
I also had a change in plans.
Going to use Martindell Enticer and HP Manimal on my cows, and Jake's Sultan of Jazz on my Creole 135 heifer.

I still have to go through and get a break down on what replacements are out of what sires, SAV Mustang will get used on everything that isn't his daughter. We have been liking those calves too much to not keep using him. I am still undecided on what to breed the others to, I am still really struggling with this as I just don't like the look of most heifer bulls.

Jake

I did something a bit different this year with heifers. I went back to an old bull BC Matrix 4132 and a maternal brother of Matrix BC Certified on the heifers. I also used some of our herd bull that we collected Coleman EXT 6149. I have had great results with Matrix, you sacrifice a little thickness but he sure makes some great productive cows. The Certified bull is out of OCC Paxton so I am thinking that will take care of the thickness issue that I had with Matrix. Matrix will sure make them deep and long with picture perfect udders.

gizmom

Genex:

Connealy Right Answer (using on a couple "show" heifers)
Andras New Direction (used him last 2 years and loved his calves)
H2R ProfitBuilder (using him on the yearling New Direction heifers)

Had talked about using SVF Allegiance too, but decided 3 bulls was enough this year.
Hopefully will be finishing up calving here soon, we were hoping to AI everyone May 13th, but got a few slackers that will have to be AI'd later.

gizmom":15i9brqf said:
Jake

I did something a bit different this year with heifers. I went back to an old bull BC Matrix 4132 and a maternal brother of Matrix BC Certified on the heifers. I also used some of our herd bull that we collected Coleman EXT 6149. I have had great results with Matrix, you sacrifice a little thickness but he sure makes some great productive cows. The Certified bull is out of OCC Paxton so I am thinking that will take care of the thickness issue that I had with Matrix. Matrix will sure make them deep and long with picture perfect udders.

gizmom

We have enough ohlde blood in ours that I am going to stay away from them for a couple more generations. Thinking about Cedar Ridge.

ez14":1q2s8xse said:
Well i only have 2 heifer so only one bull but i think i`ll use durango 44u

http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.ph ... d=Hereford

Never used him ourselves but he's a good proven bull and should be fine to use on heifers. If you're only going with select sires that Redeem bull is another one I have seen some good calves sired by but he's not going to be as light of a calver as Durango would be. The SHF All American bull is one I am keeping an eye on and would like to see some calves by. We used his sire (Logic) in the past and I'd love to have a few more cows like the 2 daughters we still have by him. When looking at AI bulls the accuracy numbers below the EPDs are something to pay attention to. I prefer to see at least .60 accuracy or higher on the growth traits, Durango definitely meets that and much more with his BW, WW, and YW all .86 or higher as there has been over 2000 progeny sired by him and he's also made Sire of Distinction so he has some daughters that have done well in production to have reached SOD.

We haven't made decisions for AI this year yet but we still have 10 straws of SHF York left in the tank and we like the looks of the calves we've had out of him (starting to wonder if we may have been sent some sexed semen though because they have been all bulls!) so we'll probably use him and some semen that we kept interest on a Revolution 4R son we bred out of one of those Logic cows I mentioned then cleanup with our On Target 936 son. I wouldn't mind looking at another AI sire to try out but not sure we really want to buy any more semen at the moment when we have stuff in the tank that still needs to be used up. We don't limit ourselves to the AI studs though for where we get semen. If you look around there are some good Hereford programs out there that sell semen that you can have shipped to you and most of those bulls are going to be more proven than some of these new sire stud trends your sales rep might try to market to you plus those breeders are using those sires in their own herds and have progeny you can see for yourself how they are performing to help you research a sire better.

Jake":2kagvi8c said:
gizmom":2kagvi8c said:
Jake

gizmom

We have enough ohlde blood in ours that I am going to stay away from them for a couple more generations. Thinking about Cedar Ridge.

I've never used Paxton- but sure love the Prestige daughters and granddaughters... Here is a daughter that is one of the good cows in our herd that I bought as a heifer from Whitney Creek Ranch several years ago-- W C R Katherines Lass 017X 16769667

Cedar Ridge is a good choice... I don't think you can go wrong with any of the old "Cedar" (C H Quantum 6247) progeny- and Cedar Ridge is a double bred 6247... We have a lot of Cedar blood in our herd- and I just bought a young Cedar Ridge daughter from Diamond D this fall that is bred to either DDA Emblazon 27C or DDA Emulation 30K...

Jake, I would talk to someone you know who has cedar ridge daughters in production. A person I trust was not impressed with his. A lot of milk with marginal udders.

Latest posts