What should I know?

Help Support CattleToday:

T-Bone

Reaction score
I' am buying five cross bread heifers (Beefmaster & Charolais) and a bull (Angus). We have already agreed on the price. I have not paid him yet. We are to complete the transaction on Friday. What are some things that I should know about his herd or questions I should ask before we complete the deal? Thanks for your advice.

That sounds like a good combination. If the the bull is black you may get some grey calves that might get docked a bit at the sale barn. Do you have other cattle to put these with? Five heifers might not keep a bull busy and at home.

[hat sounds like a good combination. If the the bull is black you may get some grey calves that might get docked a bit at the sale barn. Do you have other cattle to put these with? Five heifers might not keep a bull busy and at home.]

Yes I have three more heifers about the same age.[/quote]

T-Bone":xz6oe3id said:
[hat sounds like a good combination. If the the bull is black you may get some grey calves that might get docked a bit at the sale barn. Do you have other cattle to put these with? Five heifers might not keep a bull busy and at home.]

Yes I have three more heifers about the same age.
[/quote]

That seems a little young to breed but with the Charolais influence they may not come in until later. There are quite a few variables here. Do you have any numbers on the bull?

milesvb":3055s7xu said:
T-Bone":3055s7xu said:

Yes I have three more heifers about the same age.

That seems a little young to breed but with the Charolais influence they may not come in until later. There are quite a few variables here. Do you have any numbers on the bull?[/quote]
All I know about the bull is that he is 3yrs old and has been producing on the persons ranch.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":2xaq815b said:
Gray calves that get docked a bit at the sale barn? Not around here everyone likes those smokey gray cows/calves. Epds are the deciding factor when I go in looking for a bull. Then of course looks, does he have a big head? Is he hatchet butt? Etc. I would also check the vaccination records. Has the bull been tested for venereal diseases etc?

I wasn't referring to Tennessee. T-bone is in Texas and so am I so I am familiar with our local markets. Yellow and black are the colors of choice around here and anything else better be darn good to come close.

Ask about vaccinations. Has he done it? When are boosters due?

Same for worming. If he can answer those he probably takes care of his stock. How is the body condition on these? You will have to keep the bull away until the heifers are around 15 months old or ~70% of their adult weight.

How old is the bull?

flaboy+":fe3n36ts said:
Ask about vaccinations. Has he done it? When are boosters due?

Same for worming. If he can answer those he probably takes care of his stock. How is the body condition on these? You will have to keep the bull away until the heifers are around 15 months old or ~70% of their adult weight.

How old is the bull?
All I know about the bull is that he is 3yrs old and has been producing on the persons ranch.

Latest posts