What Should I Get?

Help Support CattleToday:

artesianspringsfarm

Reaction score
Ok experts, what should I get? I have a list of projects that I am going to give you in order of priority. I want a piece of equipment to help with all of these. That piece of equipment would seem to be an excavator but my question is something full-size, or a larger "mini"? Also, any specific do's or dont's and what to look for on used excavators. My goal is to be under 20K, but could stretch to 25K if the right value is in that range. This looks like it puts me in the 20-30 year old excavators or 10 year old minis. Here are my projects:

1. Bury about 3000' of waterline. (probably triple that over next 4-5 years)

2. Tear down an old farmhouse.

3. DIg out an old stone foundation and replace it on an old dairy barn.

4. Dig a big hole to burn and bury old siding form the barn and the farm house.

5. Dig out an old groundwater pond.

6. Clean out 3-4 miles of old hedgerow and clear 15-20 acres of grown in pasture.

This is a piece of equipment I will probably keep and maintain for a decade so I would want it to last. I have done the buy, use and sell model with some other things but I just know this list will take me 5-6 years to complete with my schedule. Fire away!

Keep it around 20k with a 5k slush fund for potential repairs. Otherwise you are likely further off to hire it done.

there are "Midi" excavators.. still small enough to haul behind a pickup, but much more capable than a mini... I don't know what kind of land you have, but if you have as many big boulders to dig up as we do, a bigger machine will not only be more effective, it'll be less hard on it as well.

Alternately, find an old JD350B (or 450) crawler loader with a backhoe attachment.. that's what we've got, though the hoe is worn out like heck and leaks like a sieve, it has done a lot of work (3000' of water line buried 6-8' deep in TOUGH conditions)... You can get the JD350 for about $5K and a good hoe for about the same... For a small machine the JD350 can move some serious rock, I've dug out 4' round rocks, and rolled some 6'ers..

Nesi,

I've thought about both a backhoe and a dozer but I'm having a hard time thinking about wanting to run either for that much burying work. Thats a lot of set down outriggers, dig, pull up, move, set down, etc. I think I want a dedicated digger.

Aaron, I think you are absolutely right. And I havent totally ruled out the hiring out option. In fact, when I got done thinking through my goals for next year, first call I made was to a local excavation guy I know well to get him to price it all out. I'm just guessing his price and my desire for flexibility will push me towards buying the equipment. I don't love having another piece of machinery to work on, but there's only so many options.

For the waterline, perhaps this would be a big time saver rather than digging trenches.
3547531439535926953_1024x1024.jpg

With what you wanting to do?? I think your going to need an excavator in the 160 to 200 size. I don't think your to buy one that's not a headache for that budget. I would suggest buying a trencher using then selling it. And rent a big Excavator. B&G

I would recommend renting the equipment. Something happens they bring you a replacement and your using new equipment not dinosaurs. I cleaned some property I purchased back in the summer with a dozer I rented. Had fun doing it!

M.Magis":11llbyfh said:
For the waterline, perhaps this would be a big time saver rather than digging trenches.
3547531439535926953_1024x1024.jpg

Wish I could but those wont handle things like this and this is our story on our whole property:

IMG_1725_zpsle5bqkpl.jpg

artesianspringsfarm":10t35e0b said:
Wish I could but those wont handle things like this and this is our story on our whole property:

IMG_1725_zpsle5bqkpl.jpg
Ugg. That looks like it would be a PITA even with a back hoe. You can rent a trencher around here for a pretty reasonable amount.

Latest posts