what more can i do??

Help Support CattleToday:

cattleluvr18

Reaction score
i was told that it would be better to put it here. so i did.

alrighty, so i have a heifer that probably weighs just over 1000 pounds that im trying to halter break. yeah i know, i started late but listen to the rest of the story. she is a hereford of corse and shes defenetly the calmest calf that we have. we started breaking her about 2 weeks ago. we tied her up and she just stands there and lets me brush her, her feet and belly, everything, shes perfect. she will stand tied up for ever. but then i try and walk her around and she absolutly will not walk. she will plant her feet into the ground and not budge. then when you get her to she charges at you and goes the opposite direction you want her to go. now shes started head butting into my leg and i have a bruise and it hurts like crazy when she hits me. im glad that im tough and i can handle the pain and not let her loose when she starts to freak out. i thought maybe putting a halter with a chain on would help her but it only made her worse. so my point is, i cant get her to lead. she will stand tied, she'll let you brush her, she will stand with her head up once you stop her but she just doesnt like to lead. i dont know what else to do. its really starting to frustrate me and its disappointing to have such a calm calf that will do anything but lead. it just feels like im doing something wrong but i cant figure it out. we do have an option of putting her on a donkey but i was hoping to have that as last resort. and people have to us to hook her onto a hay wagon and lead her that way. i really dont want to do that. but im running out of options and time. what do you guys suggest that i do and why wont she lead???

i tried the method of taking a few steps and stopping. that worked tonite so im hopeing that will get her. but is there anything else i can do??

have you had someone follow her? Everytime she's stops, have them hit her on the butt w/ a sorting stick or twist her tail. If you can keep her head up, she can't head butt you or if she goes to, hit her on the nose with the showstick. I would consider the haywagon, just as long as you walk along side her holding the halter so maybe she'll think you're leading her, and make sure not to drag her. good luck

I posted on the other board.

I do use a tractor to pull animals, but only in extreme cases. From your description I don't think this heifer needs such drastic treatment. I think the main problem is she's too quiet. Read my other post, it may help.

Have someone strong pull on the halter and someone walking behind twist her tail if she stops walking. If it doesn't work, it's tractor time.

Hope you've learned your lesson about waiting too long.

Since she will stay tied up for so long. Keep her tied. And then walk her twice a day to her feed and water. Try that for several days and she should be fine. At least she is a calm animal.

If you can, have someone lead a calf in front, and a calf behind your stubborn one. It worked wonders last year on a stubbern steer. I guess he just feared going out on his own. He was friendly, calm, perfect, untill you started to lead. Try it, see what happens. If you cant, or that doesnt work, the presure release method is best. She is a hereford, maybe its just me, but all of our Herefords/Hereford Xs have been super stubburn. (Last years stear was 1/8 and black, but sure acted 100%) Good Luck!

My daughters heifer is doing that now. She is also a Hereford. Before she would do the opposite and go where she wanted, but since we got that solved she doesn't move. We have someone walk behind her.

yeah, sinse im stronger then my dad i would lead her and he would poke her in the butt with my show stick when she stopped and that didnt help too much. ive been told my our local hereford breeder that herefords are the hardest to teach. dang... i think the pressure and release thing is working so far. got my fingers crossed it works cuz the next thing my dad wants to try is the haywagon and i really dont want to do that.

If the pressure & release thing worked for you last night, I would try that again now. Go slow with her.. don't get excited because it is working and try to push her too hard, or that method will fail as well. When is your first show?

Jay

Do you have a halter w/ a ring in it? This will help a lot with the pressure and release because there is more "reward" for stepping forward. And if all else fails, Big Jim breaking halters work wonders as well for the stubborn ones. :D

Get a small tub of feed, have her good and hungry and someone in front of her. When she takes a step or two, give her a bite... and scratch or rub, move another two steps and the same thing all over. Do this about 4-5 times, then let her go on a good note, not when she is fighting. She will get the hint. Good luck!

thanks guys but the pressure and release thing is starting to work. thank god!! i hate to admit it but im planning on taking her to a show on may 19th. :| if she keeps improving i think ill get her. and no my halter dont have a ring. and arnt the big jim halters made out of all chain?? :? i tried the kind with just the chain under the neck and it made her worse so i doubt that will help. and trust me im not goin to push her, if this is working im sticking with it.

thanks guys but the pressure and release thing is starting to work. thank god!! i hate to admit it but im planning on taking her to a show on may 19th. :| if she keeps improving i think ill get her. and no my halter dont have a ring. and arnt the big jim halters made out of all chain?? :? i tried the kind with just the chain under the neck and it made her worse so i doubt that will help. and trust me im not goin to push her, if this is working im sticking with it.

May 19?!? Oh, you got lots of time! :) No sweat. You're way ahead of the game if you're this far now...(not in a lot of people's eyes, perhaps, but we always pulled it off-always had about 22 irons in the fire, but it always worked out in the end) If you keep working with her every day you should be in good shape.

Anguscollegekid":e0a9uf48 said:
May 19?!? Oh, you got lots of time! :) No sweat. You're way ahead of the game if you're this far now...(not in a lot of people's eyes, perhaps, but we always pulled it off-always had about 22 irons in the fire, but it always worked out in the end) If you keep working with her every day you should be in good shape.

thanks!! that makes me feel ALOT better.

Latest posts