What medicines, What to do, and when?!

Help Support CattleToday:

Sniper338

Reaction score
Lets say I buy calves (or cattle) from the auction, I bring them home, put them in my corral...

What are the medicines, wormers, respiratory meds, etc that we should administer to calves and cattle in general before turning them out in the pastures? I know that cattle from the sale barn are more likely to get a dust phnemonia or such from being in the pens with so many other cattle, plus the not knowing what diseases and such are floating around the sale barn..

Then on top of this question I was told about 3 and 1 wind and rain loose mineral with high magnesium to put out when there is lots and lots of green grass and everything that cattle are eating on...

Can yall fill me in on this kind of stuff? (I tried to search it some, but couldn't find exactly what I am wanting to know here.

Sniper338":1p5oi35b said:
Lets say I buy calves (or cattle) from the auction, I bring them home, put them in my corral...

What are the medicines, wormers, respiratory meds, etc that we should administer to calves and cattle in general before turning them out in the pastures? I know that cattle from the sale barn are more likely to get a dust phnemonia or such from being in the pens with so many other cattle, plus the not knowing what diseases and such are floating around the sale barn..

Then on top of this question I was told about 3 and 1 wind and rain loose mineral with high magnesium to put out when there is lots and lots of green grass and everything that cattle are eating on...

Can yall fill me in on this kind of stuff? (I tried to search it some, but couldn't find exactly what I am wanting to know here.

At the very least, LA 200 and penicillin. Getting sale barn calves though, I would probably get something from the vet that's more high powered. Draxxin, Nuflor, etc... We've never had a problem with too little Mag in the spring on just regular native/Jiggs pasture. All we use is a 7.5 phos on everything, wind & rain.

This is what I give and I buy calves from the sale barn often. But read my signiture at the bottom of my post also.
As soon as I get them unloaded, not in a few hours, the next morning or a few days later, I vaccinate them with Inforce 3 Internasal, give a shot of Presponse, a shot of Cydectin wormer, Alpha 7 for blackleg, castrate the bull calves, Ralgro implant in the ear and a number tag. I have good leafy hay for them and fresh water.
I never give an antibiotic unless I have a sick calf and I rarely have a sick calf since I started doing these things. Check them at least once daily and twice would be even better. If you happen to get a sick one treat it immediately, again not in a few hours, the next morning or a couple days later.
One final tip, know what you are doing or get some help and don't buy a calf that is already sick. If all the buyers have backed off and are not bidding there is probably a reason.

Latest posts