What makes a grain fed steer?

Help Support CattleToday:

TheFurTrapper

Reaction score
So my question is, if you grow a calf all summer on grass, and you plan to butcher in fall how long before butcher does the calf have to be on grain to no longer have that taste of a grass fed animal.

or is it just maybe a bad experience I had with one grass fed steer that makes me think they taste better if they're grain fed?

If it's something you have to do all summer and into fall how much grain per day should each calf be getting?

Grain finished in my experience is the last couple months... I've never noticed an off taste for grass finished beef, so I cannot comment on the tasting part.

Okay. Must've been just this animal. I know you can tell the difference on a fresh butcher animal whether it's grass fed or not. What's the advantage of finishing on grain?

TheFurTrapper":o9jl2at6 said:
Okay. Must've been just this animal. I know you can tell the difference on a fresh butcher animal whether it's grass fed or not. What's the advantage of finishing on grain?

It takes 90 days of grain to get the fat to turn from yellow to white. Grain will put finish on a calf faster and IMO makes a better tasting steak, but that is a matter of opinion.

TheFurTrapper":8owws660 said:

Actually, I heard several complain about their animals after finishing on grass. Ranging from off flavor to the beef stinking and the meat tasting so bad they couldn't eat it. And, for the record, I've never eaten grass finished beef.

When we finish a steer we leave them on grass or hay whichever is current and gradually ramp them up to about 2% of their body weight and feed them for 45-60 days that way. Never have had an issue with off flavor or incefficient marbling.

I have had good tasting grass finished, and bad tasting, gamey tasting grass finished.

I have never had an off taste on grain finished.

TheFurTrapper":skjchl4h said:
So how much grain a day should the steer be getting in that last 2 months or so before butcher time.
Depends on his weight. We atrt at around 1/2 percent and ramp him up every 3-4 days a little till he;'s on full 2% (which will increase as he gains finsih) after about 2 weeks.

TheFurTrapper":1ld5ssjz said:
So how much grain a day should the steer be getting in that last 2 months or so before butcher time.

ramp him up to full feed. ie all he can handle- which should be over 30lbs/ day

I've always been curious about people complaining about grass finished beef stinking or tasting really bad. It's always been someone who bought beef, or was given beef, from 'someone'. I've NEVER had a grass finished steak/roast/burger that I'd even consider 'gamey'. I do eat a lot of deer so maybe my taste buds are out of whack or something, but I've also never had any complaints from the grass finished beef I've given to neighbors, friends or family (my beefs have always been fairly young, 18 months?, and not exactly 'finished' to most peoples standards). I can't help but wonder if either the person complaining was jaded over the whole experience (paid too much?), the animal was stressed at kill, or something the butcher did/didn't do (no idea what that would be, I've only ever taken animals to one butcher and have never had a problem with any of the beef, pork, or lamb from them. It always tastes like it does when I do the work myself.) Anyone have any first hand insight on what would be the issue?

Phil

Phil2":23z8dsg2 said:
I've always been curious about people complaining about grass finished beef stinking or tasting really bad. It's always been someone who bought beef, or was given beef, from 'someone'
*snip*.

I posted because I spoke to a couple (husband and wife team floor layers) that told me he had two steers that he grassed finished and they both had the strong and smelly meat. Said they could hardly eat it because of both taste and flavor. I've heard more, but that's the only ones that come to mind that actually raised their's.

Latest posts