What makes a good bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

hoyt79

Reaction score
Seems like many want or get feedback on their cattle here and there seem to be many different opinions on this trait and that. Maybe some of you could share what, in your opinion makes a good bull. What traits are the most important and what to look for. Pictures would be helpful to. Since this is the beginners board, maybe someone (myself included) could learn a thing or two. Maybe there is no such thing as a perfect bull? If not, what would you require in a bull as a calf to be sire potential.

thats way too broad of a question for people to answer because it depends on what your goals are (what type of calves you want to produce)... however, I think most would agree on what they don't want... I surely don't want a "hatchet-butted" (no rump) bull and/or one with a ton of daylight between his ribs and the ground.

So there are no traits that most would agree every sire should possess? I understand that selecting a bull is a personal choice based on your herd and location but muscling, length, etc. seem to be common features that most look for.

It all starts with the feet and legs, then testicles, size and shape, how far the muscle is carried down the hind quarter, angle of the hooks to pins, shen viewed from the rear a square shape across the butt. After that I get to the fine points of chest floor width, angle of the shoulders, heart girth, capacity I want a bull that is deep bodied and wide. I'm sure there are things I've left out but that pretty well gets me started at singling out bulls from a group.

Don't forget temperment! I bought a bull at a registered sale a while back, he was wound up at the auction, but I thought he would calm down at the farm. Every time we worked cattle, and that bull was penned up, he was bat-shytt crazy! I only kept him for one season, sent him to the kill-pen.

Latest posts