what kind of fly control?

Help Support CattleToday:

whippoorwill

Reaction score
what kind of fly control do you use? ear tags,spray,rubs,feed through or combination of these? what time of year do you start? i know this will depend on location. thanks barry

We use an IGR mineral starting March 1st. It takes about 3 weeks to start working. We also use backrubs soaked in diesel and permethrin. When needed we spray also. I don't think there is just one thing that works well by itself.

Igr in mineral starting march 15 through Sept. 20 Mineral with igr cost .03 a day per head. Will use mineral tubs this year. Because they can be set out over the pasture to make sure they get the correct intake. Will spray for ticks and flies 2 to 4 time a year.

I use fly tags on my stocker calves, and i have sulfur blocks out for everything. i also use rubs for the cows. For me it is probably may when i start thinking about flies.

We've tried pretty much everything here. Fly tags, rubs of all sorts, just spraying the cows with fly spray ect. With that said, this is the first year we are using the igr altosid in the mineral. I know others have had good results with it, so are going to try it. Far as rubs, we stumbled upon this one http://www.rol-oyl.com/ at a auction, went cheap, liked it so much bought another at a auction. It really works pretty good and is tough, even the bull is no prob. for it.
Jenna

Around the beginning of March we start feeding minerals with IGR, we also have oiler/mops at the entrance to the waterpoint so the girls have to pass through them to get oiled up. The mops have Permectin and deisel. When we work them in the spring we pour with UltraBoss, that provides a residual till the IGR really starts to work. We hang the mops low enough that even calves walking through will get mopped at least a little.