What kind of bait?

Help Support CattleToday:

Dirt Farmer

Reaction score
I'm turning the cattle in on the cover crops tomorrow. It's mainly haygrazer with cowpeas, sunflowers, plus a couple other things. Is there something better than 20% cubes to bring em all to the gate?

Gotta get them trained. I yell at them once and they all start looking. I yell a second time and they come a running. Associate a certain noise with food. If they like the pellets give them a few and start towards the gate. They will follow.

DID, I agree. I guess I should pose the question a different way. Is there anything I should feed them to prepare their stomach? They've been eating dead bluestem and I'm worried about the rich food upsetting their stomach.

Dirt Farmer said:
Thanks for the good advise, Sim, I'm just worried about abruptly changing their diet.

Keep a bale of prairie or the dead bluestem available so they can munch on that. They'll initially get "protein butt", generally takes a couple weeks to regulate.

Dirt Farmer said:
I'm turning the cattle in on the cover crops tomorrow. It's mainly haygrazer with cowpeas, sunflowers, plus a couple other things. Is there something better than 20% cubes to bring em all to the gate?

14 percent cubes.
Unless you're trying to flaunt your wealth.

I think I was just drinking too much and worrying too much last night. They're trained to come to the horn and they won't have 24/7 access to the field. Thanks for the replies.

Dirt Farmer said:
I think I was just drinking too much and worrying too much last night. They're trained to come to the horn and they won't have 24/7 access to the field. Thanks for the replies.

I do that sometimes. Lol

Dirt Farmer said:

Funny, when I drink to much I worry to little.

Latest posts