What is your comfort zone

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I know some Southerns here will laugh at me about this but it was over 90 yesterday. It is in the mid 90's today and is forecast that high tomorrow. I am melting here. We have a real mild climate. In 56 years living here I can count the days I have seen here above 100 or below 0 on my fingers. So what is your comfort zone?

I know that wind and rain will cause changes but on a clear calm day how do you deal with heat or cold.

On the top end I am OK until it cracks 90 then I start cooking.

Above 55 degrees I am in a tee shirt and comfortable.

40 to 55 will have on long sleeves.

Below 40 I will wear a coat as long as I am not working too hard.

Below 20 the long underwear is going on.

I have worked in Alaska where it was real cold and anything below -10 is just too darn bitter for me.

My perfect temperature would be somewhere in the 60's.

Depends on the humidity. I hate humidity more than heat. It can be reasonably comfy here but the humidity gets so high the sidewalks sweat.

I don't like those temps over 95 in summer. I don't appreciate cold if there's wind. It can be real cold, for here, anyway, and if the wind isn't blowing, it can be rather refreshing. By real cold, I mean in the thirties or forties. We get everything ranging from teens to over 100. I just roll with it. My perfect weather would be low humidity and eighty degrees.

My comfort zone used be from around 85 to 100, even 105 wasn;t bad in the desert. I didn;t even get my blood pumping till 85 degrees. Then I got heat stroke, now much over 85 does me in pretty badly. Still work in it, just take a lot more breaks.

A week or so ago when it was 105-107 everyday it didn't matter what the humidity was...it was HOT. I guess after a couple of weeks like that even 95 feels ok. I don't really start feeling the heat until it's above 90....cold ordinarily doesn't bother me but "our cold" ain't nothing compared to our "up north" friends. I can still get out an work "or hunt" in the high teens or low 20's. I guess perfect would be about 75 degrees year round. Where is that place??

I think that 75 degrees year round is the same place where it rains an inch a week only on Sunday and Thursday nights between midnight and 4:00 in the morning.

The heat doesn't bother me too much. I hardly notice it until it gets over 90, but don't really get too taken away until it gets to 100. The problem with my area is the humidity. If the humidity is in the 70's or above, and the air temp is 95 or above, it can be downright suffocating. We have had a fairly mild summer hear, with only a handful of days above 95. Today, it is 83 degrees, 10 below average.

I don't mind the cold so long as the wind isn't blowing. It can be 0 degrees, and if the wind isn't blowing, I don't mind it too much. However, it can be 20 degrees, and if the wind is blowing 20 mph, no thanks. I calve in Feb/March, and people always ask what temperature is the critical point when calving. I always respond with how hard is the wind blowing. I just flat out hate the wind come winter time.

i can work in the heat.but when it gets over 100 i try to work in the mornings or evenings.when the temps get below 30 i have to put a coat/windbreaker on.other than that im in short sleeves year round.

Perfect temp for me is 78. As long as I start in the morning and acclimate myself to the heat through the day the temperature does not bother me that much. The humidity is the kicker though. It can sometimes be stifling.

Anyone else have this problem..... husband is ALWAYS hot, and I'm ALWAYS cold. Makes it tough when your "comfort zone" is way different than your spouse. He likes a fan blowing right on the bed and I look rediculous with 10 quilts on the bed and just my eyeballs peeking out!! :lol2:

Wisteria Farms":2trw3hck said:
Anyone else have this problem..... husband is ALWAYS hot, and I'm ALWAYS cold. Makes it tough when your "comfort zone" is way different than your spouse. He likes a fan blowing right on the bed and I look rediculous with 10 quilts on the bed and just my eyeballs peeking out!! :lol2:

hey mine is like that too! he wears tank tops in the winter. we fight over the heat constantly, he turns it down i turn it up and tell him to go to the garage lol. I like it in the 80's. I also live in Washington and getting up to 100 is definately NOT the norm here. hard on the critters who are used to 80's or rain. do not like the humidity, I have been in the south when it was hot and humid and it sucked...and Bandit80 I just went thru Kansas in May and the wind was howling!! blowing us sideways and COLD!! wasnt thrilled with that...

Wisteria Farms":15shqtjo said:

Yes Wisteria we do . If it is zero and we leave to go somewhere in the car, I'll be down to a T-shirt, my wife will have on a parka with the hood pulled up, a pair of gloves on, and asking me to turn up the heat .
I'm like your husband the colder it is the better I sleep, A/C plus a fan . I think for the most part women just get colder, I wonder why, or put another way why are men so much hotter .

Larry

larryshoat":2qhaaegx said:
Wisteria Farms":2qhaaegx said:

Yes Wisteria we do . If it is zero and we leave to go somewhere in the car, I'll be down to a T-shirt, my wife will have on a parka with the hood pulled up, a pair of gloves on, and asking me to turn up the heat .
I'm like your husband the colder it is the better I sleep, A/C plus a fan . I think for the most part women just get colder, I wonder why, or put another way why are men so much hotter .

Larry
Larry,
Oh my gosh, you're another fan man?!!!! Sometimes I wonder if I'll wake up looking like I just got off a Harley Davidson after going 100 MPH with no helmet!!! :lol2: You must be right... it seems its usually the woman who's cold. In the truck I feel like I'm forever flipping the vents closed... then I get the "you're cold?" stink eye...haha. My husband was a Mechanical Insulator for YEARS before he started estimating full time and he swears he's got fiberglass embedded in his skin.... (years ago I might have agreed but I think that skin's long gone)... ooo, that's kind of gross. Sorry.

Wisteria Farms":ujyqlm08 said:

Same here, my wife is freezing and I am enjoying the cool. :banana: My wife is comfortable, I am miserable. :???:

I'll keep this all in mind incase y'all ever come to my place....
MEN IN THE BASEMENT where its 10 degrees cooler!!! Hey, don't get upset... there's a bar and an outhouse (no joking...the bathroom is a rustic cedar outhouse). I'll take a pic and post it...haha.

Latest posts