What is this sickness

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
Here is what they are doing ; and it hits them very fast , older cows 10 yrs ,they dont come up to eat will find them in the woods, weak ,shakey,act like they have hard time peeing or pooping ,some brown slime from nose,the white of their eyes will be very white no color pigmenting ,any light spots on udder will turn yellow like the blood is all gone,and yes the inside of vulva is white or yellow. So everything points to Anaplaz.That is what the vet says they have also. So we hit them hard with LA200 and B12 did'nt help also gave everything in this pasture 30cc of LA200 as a preventive. They have minerals out ,2 different kinds of anaplaz meal, been wormed ,sprayed for flys ,fat and in good shape tll this hits them. A man 1/2 mile away has had no problems ,but his stock is all young say 3 yrs and it has not hit any of my young cows either, One last thing they do not try to fight you like most anaplaz cows will ????
The horse flys are very bad this year also.
If it is anaplaz could it be I have a courier that is giving it to the others? I read that if you save one they will always be a courier of it ?? but i'm not doing very good at saving them
Vet is probley right about it being anaplaz but I have done everything like he has said with no luck

Bryant, you might want to look into Redwater. Do they show signs of high temp, port wine colored urine? In addition, jaundice,(a yellow coloring of the pink membranes) is usually seen. You have to look close to notice it, but the pink parts around the eye and vulva, or the prepuce in males, will show a slight yellowish tinge instead of a healthy pink color. The signs will usually be labored breathing and grunting, an arched back indicating abdominal pain, a weak and rapid pulse, temp elevation, and a swollen brisket. The manure wil be very dark along with wine colored urine. Has your pasture been flooded? Can be spread through hay grown in low-lying areas. It's thought to be associated with liver flukes, which are known to be spread by snails, and the disease may very likely be spread by the same carrier. Treatment is very high doses of tetracycline with very high levels of dextrose and electrolyte solutions given intravenously, but the outcome of treatment is doubtful. With anaplasmosis a "jugular pulse" is very common, The anemia will make the heart beat so hard that the pulse can be seen at the jugular vein area of the throat. Treatment is with tetracycline. 3 to 5 mg. per pound of bodyweight is given for 3 days. Treatment of the whole herd with injections of tet has eliminated the disease from the whole herd. Can be a 20 to 50% death loss. Hope you're not experiencing that. But good luck and keep us posted.

Roadapple":1vrilpzn said:
Do they show signs of high temp, port wine colored urine?
Temp was not checked ,urine was clear which vet said was another thing that pointed to anaplaz said normal urin was yellow.
the pink parts around the eye and vulva, or the prepuce in males, will show a slight yellowish tinge instead of a healthy pink color.
they are VERY VERY YELLOW no pink at all
The anemia will make the heart beat so hard that the pulse can be seen at the jugular vein area of the throat.
yes jerking in the lower throat area
Treatment of the whole herd with injections of tet has eliminated the disease from the whole herd.
we treated all the cows with a shot of Oxymycin 200 30cc. plus they have medicated anaplaz meal out two brands all they want to eat. still had 2 cows get sick, these were old cows that should have been sold last year but was'nt ???
Its probly anaplaz but after all I have done to prevent it seems I would not have had a problem , maybe wishfull thinking
Vet said it has been a real problem this year, He does'nt act like he has a doudt about what it is

Latest posts