What is this petrified looking rock,

Help Support CattleToday:

I will tell you for a fact it's not dino crap. I'm really not sure what exactly, at first look I was thinking some kind of calcite, but circular holes tell me know. It might be some kind of coral, and that would be my guess.

I've become a fan of Nick Zentner on YouTube, he's a geology professor at Central Washington University. Your part of the world has an interesting story to tell, from the Australian continent being attached to Montana some billion years ago, to the accretion of large igneous provinces formed a thousand miles or more away from where they now sit. He has videos on identifying minerals and rocks posted on YouTube. It is useful to also study the surrounding rocks, was this something covered in a lave flow, or a pyroclastic flow? I am only a novice and live a world away, most of the rock here is sedimentary, except for the igneous rock carried here by the glaciers.

Some meteorites have iron in them. You might see if a magnet will stick to it. Looks like it might have been on fire at one time.

My initial guess and it's just a guess. is that it is some form of plant matter. It does look petrified . Meaning it's not actually preserved organic material but a mineralized copy of the material. I would take it home. Cool rock.
I hope @Silver doesn't mind
I'll show my favorite petrified fossil.
Found in a dozer cut through a limestone ridge on a fence job.
A tiny little turtle.
IMG_20220830_142028.jpgIMG_20220830_141955.jpgIMG_20220830_143010.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220830_141955.jpg
    IMG_20220830_141955.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
Rock that looks like that is common in Yellowstone National Park. It is formed by minerals in the warm springs and geyser areas.

My initial guess and it's just a guess. is that it is some form of plant matter. It does look petrified . Meaning it's not actually preserved organic material but a mineralized copy of the material. I would take it home. Cool rock.
I hope @Silver doesn't mind
I'll show my favorite petrified fossil.
Found in a dozer cut through a limestone ridge on a fence job.
A tiny little turtle.
View attachment 20655View attachment 20656View attachment 20659
I like your little turtle. Have you ever had a paleontologist look at it. It might be a species never identified before.

Latest posts