What is this knot on my calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

what does it feel like?? hard?? soft?? like water under the skin?
not a lot of info to go on!

memanpa":9lz3c6rx said:

He's too skittish to get that close to him.

had two calfs get snake bit this yr and thats what they look like from what i can see from pic .Also had a cow get bit in the side like that ended up the size of a big grapfruit.If it is soft lance it ,medicate.and it will be ok .....

gabby":1xf26fhq said:
memanpa":1xf26fhq said:

No such thing as too skitish. Do what you have to do to get that calf penned up, and have the Vet check him out if you can't figure what's going on. Posting a picture here ain't necessarily gonna give you any answers when they need attention.Guesses don't solve problems.

Ryder":2n2tnsni said:
Does look like he could go through fences if he wanted to. IMO if he doesn't act sick or hurting, i would just watch him.

Yeah that's what's going to happen because I'm leaving for the weekend anyway. It doesn't seem to bother him. He's not wild but he won't let me touch him. The cows will be checked every day so if it blows up I'll know about it. Not sure what I will do but at least I will know about it!! :lol:
gabby

gabby":1c9bdpld said:
I'm leaving for the weekend anyway...if it blows up I'll know about it. Not sure what I will do but at least I will know about it!!

Personally gabby, I don't know what in the world you are thinking, other than only of yourself.

What kind of cattleperson are you? Leave on VACATION with a calf in the field that may or may not need attention. People like you shouldn't be allowed to own livestock.

Hope you enjoy your vacation :mad:

gabby":3pxw9l89 said:
memanpa":3pxw9l89 said:

well, from the looks of your cattle page on your website it seems like you would have no trouble catching him from the looks of that roundup

CopeMan":j54a821c said:
well, from the looks of your cattle page on your website it seems like you would have no trouble catching him from the looks of that roundup

That's what I was thinking too. Looks like you have a lot of people there at roundup time. Are they volunteers, friends, etc? Looks like you have a very nice place.

Maybe it isn't serious, but then again - we would never leave without knowing for sure first. Catch it up and look at it or have a vet look at it.

chrome":109c0d6x said:
gabby":109c0d6x said:
I'm leaving for the weekend anyway...if it blows up I'll know about it. Not sure what I will do but at least I will know about it!!

Personally gabby, I don't know what in the world you are thinking, other than only of yourself.

What kind of cattleperson are you? Leave on VACATION with a calf in the field that may or may not need attention. People like you shouldn't be allowed to own livestock.

People like you shouldn't be allowed on chat forums.
gabby

TXBobcat":1dgqm0c7 said:
CopeMan":1dgqm0c7 said:

That's what I was thinking too. Looks like you have a lot of people there at roundup time. Are they volunteers, friends, etc? Looks like you have a very nice place.

Thanks TX,
This ground has been in my family for 8 generations now. I'm real fortunate to have a turn running it.

Those aren't real penning roundups on the website, just special days when I invite people to come for a cattle drive and have some fun and re-create some cowboy tradition. I'm certainly not a real cowboy because I don't even own a western saddle. My horses are jumping horses but they're pretty good with the cows anyway.

When we pen we don't even use horses. Don't need them. My cows will follow me almost anywhere. They like me. :D
gabby

Monday evening update: The knot is unchanged and the calf seems fine in all other ways.

Thanks for the responses to my question. I'm just going to wait and see what happens to the knot. That's what the vet would say anyway. I'll ship him in a couple of months.
gabby

Latest posts