What is this cow worth?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
Gotcha ;) I saw a post the other day with a comment ( from a credible source IMHO) that you could afford to invest @ $800 of hay in a cow last year or paid $2000.00 to replace her this year. That got me to thinking.......
I agree with that premise in light of today's environment and wonder does the back push the front in this business or does the market pull the price/investment? Just saying...........what do you think?

I bought 5 black brangus baldy cows a year ago February . All 5 years old now . Averaged 575 a head . I sold them as pairs last weekend with 200 pounds calves for 1750 a pair . We had such a mild winter last year I fed hay for a month before I started grazing rye grass . I wish I would have bought 40 cows when I bought the 5 . I could had made a killing off of the drought .

The market definatly determines the cost.

On the statement about putting $800 in now instead of buying at $2000 later on. I prefer to say you can spend up to the cows current value on her trying to keep her. Same way you don't put $5k in to a $2K truck.