What is the deal with DIESEL?

Help Support CattleToday:

Resource stocks lead TSX lower; Dow rises 113
Last Updated Wed, 27 Oct 2004 18:10:54 EDT
TORONTO - Slumping oil and gold prices weighed down the Toronto Stock Exchange Wednesday, while U.S. markets welcomed lower crude prices by bolting higher.

The S&P/TSX Composite Index dropped 27.18 points to 8791.00. The TSX energy sub-index fell 2.6 per cent. Oil futures closed at $52.46 US a barrel, down about 5 per cent, as crude oil supplies grew by twice as much as expected.

EnCana lost $1.13 to $59.12. It reported higher third-quarter earnings. Canadian Natural Resources dropped more than 4 per cent; Petro-Canada and Talisman both lost more than 3 per cent.

The TSX gold sub-index shed 2.3 per cent as gold futures lost $2 to $424.80 US an ounce.

Placer Dome fell 66 cents to $26.04; Barrick Gold dropped 37 cents to $27.20; Meridian Gold tumbled $1.85 to $21.08. UBS downgraded Meridian Gold from "buy" to "neutral" on valuation concerns.

The information technology group was the big gainer in Toronto, despite Nortel falling 15 cents to a new 52-week low of $4.02. Research in Motion drove the IT index higher, gaining $4.17 to $109.65. ATI Technologies rose 56 cents to $21.50; it reported that it is gaining market share and now has almost 60 per cent of the discrete graphics market.

Sierra Wireless jumped $1.99 to $22.18. After the close, it reported a stronger-than-expected profit on higher sales.

Other companies in the news:

Algoma Steel rose 28 cents to $21.85 after it reported a $121-million profit on the strength of high steel prices.

Canadian National Railway's share price followed its profits higher. CNR gained $1.33 to $65.90 – and set a new 52-week high – after it reported higher third-quarter volumes, revenues, and profits.

Maple Leaf Foods saw its shares gain 47 cents to $13.80 after it announced higher profits from its earlier acquisition of Schneider Foods.

WestJet shares gained 55 cents to $11.50. The airline said rising jet fuel prices cut into its profits, but managed to fly more passengers.

Chum Ltd.'s fourth-quarter profits quadrupled to $8 million as sales at tits radio and TV stations increased and costs dropped. Chum's Class B shares were up $1.20 to $26.95.

But the news was not as good at another media company, Torstar Corp. The company said its newspaper holdings saw more business but its Harlequin Books division suffered from fewer sales. Torstar's net profit was cut by almost two-thirds. The stock was down 12 cents to $24.87 ahead of the earnings announcement.

Quebecor World shares fell almost 7 per cent (down $1.83 to $26.90). The printing giant said its third-quarter profits were down 20 per cent on restructuring charges, missing analysts expectations.

Quebecor World also announced it was filing suit against U.S. printing giant R.R. Donnelley and three former Quebecor World employees, seeking an injunction "prohibiting Donnelley and the former Quebecor World employees from using or disclosing Quebecor World's trade secrets."

Fairmont Hotels and Resorts shares fell 20 cents to $34.39. The luxury hotel owner and operator reported higher earnings which nevertheless came on below analysts' estimates.

U.S. markets rise

The Dow Jones Industrial Average surged 113.55 points to close above 10000 for the first time in two weeks as investors welcomed Wednesday's 5 per cent drop in the price of oil.

The Nasdaq Composite Index gained 41.20 points to 1969.99 – its biggest one-day point gain since Oct. 1.

The Canadian dollar closed out the trading day at 81.55 cents US, up 0.02 cents.

Written by CBC News Online staff

If the price of oil is slumping, I sure hope that the prices at the pump will do the same.

Take care.

:stop: Maybe you should ask "The New World Order",And ask why we are not making hydrogen from sea water? Wind & solar production from sea water produce hydrogen with no by-products& about $.50 a gallon!!! Put that in your pipe and smoke it/or not! The last time i stocked up on diesel it cost me $.51 gallon at CO-OP. Enough to last 20yrs. People just donot think or ask the right questions anymore, just complain & put up with it! Vote these idots out Nov-2 & vote in almost anyone ELSE. It can not get much worse? I AM NOT A TREE HUGGER!!!!!!!!! I burn wood & some coal, but would like to switch over to HYDROGEN !!!! Ideas?????? TN HICK from KS.

Well actually the world is not ready for hydrogen and the dangers that come with it as it's LEL is 2% and UEL is 76% much broader than hydrocabons in the market today. It also burns colorless which add another hazard to overcome. LEL stands for lower explosive limit UEL upper explosive limit. Most hydrocarbons are in the 20% to 50% range making them safer and easier to handle. Storage of Hydrogen presents another problem due to molecular size of h2. Last but not least it takes Xlbs of energy to move Xlbs down the road. you are going to have to consume 10's of times the amount of water to get the same energy in one gallon of diesel. 1 gallon of gasoline has 125 mbtu's 1 gal of diesel has 160 mbtu's 1 gallon of hydrogen about 2 mbtu's. So what appears to be better is not alway's true. We are getting close but effiecent, safe use as hydrogen is still years out.

Campground Cattle":1exb79u9 said:
Well actually the world is not ready for hydrogen and the dangers that come with it as it's LEL is 2% and UEL is 76% much broader than hydrocabons in the market today. It also burns colorless which add another hazard to overcome. LEL stands for lower explosive limit UEL upper explosive limit. Most hydrocarbons are in the 20% to 50% range making them safer and easier to handle. Storage of Hydrogen presents another problem due to molecular size of h2. Last but not least it takes Xlbs of energy to move Xlbs down the road. you are going to have to consume 10's of times the amount of water to get the same energy in one gallon of diesel. 1 gallon of gasoline has 125 mbtu's 1 gal of diesel has 160 mbtu's 1 gallon of hydrogen about 2 mbtu's. So what appears to be better is not alway's true. We are getting close but effiecent, safe use as hydrogen is still years out.

Very interesting response. I think it's probably the way of the future for local/mobile energy production, as nuclear is for the grid. But agree that it's a ways off for now. Still some kinks to work out and economies of scale must be overcome. Someday…

Craig-TX

:stop: I haul cattle over the road in a 99 Peterbilt. Everywhere I go diesel is higher than gas. I have paid as little as 1.93 in MO. this week to 2.29 in OH. I just keep putting the extra cost on the rate but you can only do that until the house of cards fall!!!!! :(