What is the best beef breed for my climate?

Help Support CattleToday:

molasani

Reaction score
Hi
My name is Pouyan. I live in Khuzestan province of Iran. Here in fact we have 2 seasons. For half of the year it's moderate and sometimes a bit cold and during the rest of the year it's hot. during the hot season, sometimes temperature is even more than 50 degrees Celsius. I have read in some websites that Brahman and Droughtmaster have a good heat tolerance. Are they appropriate breeds for the climate we have? Or are there any better breeds to recommend?

Thanks a lot

The breeds in Iran are varied in their genetic makeup and range through the full spectrum from pure Bos Indicus to Pure Taurus, with composite types in between, mostly used for both milk and beef (dual purpose). There have beed imports of Holstien for milk production and Gir in the past, I don't know what the situation is at present for the export of cattle, embryos and semen to Iran.
Firstly, if you could post some pictures of the type of cattle native to your regeon, it would help to identify the genotype that is adapted to your environment, and do you want a beef breed or dairy breed?

Seems you can't go wrong in that climate by selecting a heavy Brahman cross. Brahman are naturally heat tolerant and are really good foragers during the winter months when the grass gets scarce. I expect your climate to be somewhat similar to what we experience in North Florida. Were I you, I'd take a strong look at the brahman.

Take a strong look at beefmasters, specifcally any that are not black, very good in harsh terrain and heat, In the south which gets over 110 heat index they handle the heat well, very good animal in South africa, Texas and the south america, 1/2 Brahma. God Bless

molasani":1vmqhrua said:
Hi
My name is Pouyan. I live in Khuzestan province of Iran. Here in fact we have 2 seasons. For half of the year it's moderate and sometimes a bit cold and during the rest of the year it's hot. during the hot season, sometimes temperature is even more than 50 degrees Celsius. I have read in some websites that Brahman and Droughtmaster have a good heat tolerance. Are they appropriate breeds for the climate we have? Or are there any better breeds to recommend?

Thanks a lot
Do you need some help getting some cattle to the dock?

Kingfisher":2crpeurc said:
molasani":2crpeurc said:
Hi

Thanks a lot
Do you need some help getting some cattle to the dock?

Yes I do. May you help me?

Our intention is to have a beef breed that has good beef quality and fertility, and can produce economically especially in hot season. So what's your recommendation?

Pouyan,

Here are some links and emails addresses to people and organizations that know more about your conditions than I.
Dr. Mahmood Makarechian is an expert on Iran cattle and sheep breeds and was a Dean in a Faculty of Agriculture before the revolution: [email protected]
Most of the advice given is solid in regards to breeds to use for a dedicated beef herd. The classical American developed Zebu based breeds are a great resource. Other sources for hot climate genetics are Australia: http://www.australianlivestockgenetics. ... index.html
and Brazil: http://www.altagenetics.com.br/ (In Portuguese, but look at the top for Corte Zebu and Corte Tautino links to pictures of the bulls.
British breeds that work in warm climates are the Red Poll and Sussex. If you want a dual purpose animal the French Rustic breeds Tarentaise and Abondance have worked well in North Africa.
That said consider using your own landrace to develop your own beef breed using outside genetics to help out. In any event you are looking at decades of work. Don't get discouraged just realize Rome wasn't built in a day.

Latest posts