What is happening in Oregon

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I avoid things political so if this is considered such please delete it.

I have seen some of this story on the national news. So there is a "Cap and Trade" bill in the Oregon legislator. The vote is going down party lines. The GOP senators have left the state. This has created a lack of a quorum in the state senate. This legislative session ends the end of the month. If they stay gone until July 1 this bill won't pass. Rural Oregon is very much opposed to this bill and that is where the GOP senators are from. In Oregon the Portland, Salem, and Eugene area has by far the most population. They elect Dems. The rest of Oregon elect GOP. But beings as those area out number the rest of the state they get to pass the laws that everyone else has to live with.

The reasons that Rural Oregon is opposed to this bill include but are not limited to: a $1.00 per gallon raise in fuel tax on diesel fuel, and no diesel powered engines older that 2007 would be allowed to be used. This means pickups, trucks, tractors, and heavy equipment. That would put the logging industry out of business. Lots of farmers would have to shut down too.

For me I have a diesel pickup and two tractors that are all older than 2007. I don't know what they would do on the licensing of the pick up. For the the fuel I can solve that easy enough. It is 30 miles to the nearest gas station in Oregon. It is 50 miles to Idaho and I have a 110 gallon transfer tank that I would set in the back of the pickup. Most of the rest of the state is not in that situation. Some logger in Southwest Oregon can't drive 400 miles each way to get fuel.

The governor sent the state police out to drag those senators back to the capital. In cuffs if necessary. So that is a good part of why the Oregon senators are living in Idaho this week.

Dave said:

I have seen some of this story on the national news. So there is a "Cap and Trade" bill in the Oregon legislator. The vote is going down party lines. The GOP senators have left the state. This has created a lack of a quorum in the state senate. This legislative session ends the end of the month. If they stay gone until July 1 this bill won't pass. Rural Oregon is very much opposed to this bill and that is where the GOP senators are from. In Oregon the Portland, Salem, and Eugene area has by far the most population. They elect Dems. The rest of Oregon elect GOP. But beings as those area out number the rest of the state they get to pass the laws that everyone else has to live with.

The reasons that Rural Oregon is opposed to this bill include but are not limited to: a $1.00 per gallon raise in fuel tax on diesel fuel, and no diesel powered engines older that 2007 would be allowed to be used. This means pickups, trucks, tractors, and heavy equipment. That would put the logging industry out of business. Lots of farmers would have to shut down too.

For me I have a diesel pickup and two tractors that are all older than 2007. I don't know what they would do on the licensing of the pick up. For the the fuel I can solve that easy enough. It is 30 miles to the nearest gas station in Oregon. It is 50 miles to Idaho and I have a 110 gallon transfer tank that I would set in the back of the pickup. Most of the rest of the state is not in that situation. Some logger in Southwest Oregon can't drive 400 miles each way to get fuel.

The governor sent the state police out to drag those senators back to the capital. In cuffs if necessary. So that is a good part of why the Oregon senators are living in Idaho this week.
I recall the timber company name Dave but one of them is already shutting down and pulling out.

But it will save the environment, you must hate the environment. Now excuse me as a I drive off in my electric car that produces more emissions than 5 semi's.

Dave said:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/armed-militias-pledge-to-fight-for-fugitive-oregon-gop-lawmakers-at-any-cost

Dave said:
The GOP senators have left the state. This has created a lack of a quorum in the state senate.
This legislative session ends the end of the month. If they stay gone until July 1 this bill won't pass.

The governor sent the state police out to drag those senators back to the capital.
In cuffs if necessary.
Can an Oregon State Officer be authorized to arrest a person outside of the state?
Or is it just posturing by the governor?

Internet rumor. They aren't going after individual vehicles or farmers. They are targeting the state's biggest polluters (top 100) based on how many tons of carbon they release. Not sure how effective it will be. The politicians made concessions to the top polluters in the cap and trade in California.

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-oregon-climate-policy-cap-and-trade-20190617-story.html

Little Cow said:
Internet rumor. They aren't going after individual vehicles or farmers. They are targeting the state's biggest polluters (top 100) based on how many tons of carbon they release. Not sure how effective it will be. The politicians made concessions to the top polluters in the cap and trade in California.

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-oregon-climate-policy-cap-and-trade-20190617-story.html

What is happening is called failing the IQ test of life and your about to pay the stupid tax comrade.

Little Cow said:

Extra 20 cent a gallon tax on gas right off. Seem to like that hitting the individual vehicles and farmers pretty dang good. To be carbon free you would have to kill ever living being on the planet.

The increase in fuel tax hits rural living people pretty hard. For me it is 30 miles each way to the nearest gas station, grocery store, or any other type of business. There are others who travel twice that far or more. In Portland I could drive clear across the entire metro area in 30 miles passing a ton of businesses.

Red Bull Breeder said:
Little Cow said:

Extra 20 cent a gallon tax on gas right off. Seem to like that hitting the individual vehicles and farmers pretty dang good. To be carbon free you would have to kill ever living being on the planet.
I suspect we will see a energy tax in the near future to fund the infrastructure that every one is lobbying for. Gas goes up and down so often now no one will notice.

If I buy a tank of diesel, how do they know which tractor or truck it goes in ? The one ton is an '03. The tractor, backhoe, cat are all much older.

backhoeboogie said:
If I buy a tank of diesel, how do they know which tractor or truck it goes in ? The one ton is an '03. The tractor, backhoe, cat are all much older.

Arkansas DOT can figure that out for you in just a few minutes Boogie. Unless you run road fuel in every thing.

Searched for cap and trade because I did not have any idea about it. At one time you could plant new forest and sell the carbon credits you were saving to a company to be able to keep producing the carbon. Here is the link I found.
https://www.edf.org/climate/how-cap-and-trade-works

Red Bull Breeder said:
backhoeboogie said:

Arkansas DOT can figure that out for you in just a few minutes Boogie. Unless you run road fuel in every thing.

I wouldn't spend $600K on new equipment at this point in my life. I guess I'd be buying road fuel.

I wonder if I sold all of the farting cows could I because I reduced co2 sell the credits to a electric utility using coal for a fuel. Any one have any idea what the credits would be worth. Please do not take me serious on this.

Son of Butch said:
Dave said:
The GOP senators have left the state. This has created a lack of a quorum in the state senate.
This legislative session ends the end of the month. If they stay gone until July 1 this bill won't pass.

The governor sent the state police out to drag those senators back to the capital.
In cuffs if necessary.
Can an Oregon State Officer be authorized to arrest a person outside of the state?
Or is it just posturing by the governor?
Any update, did it come to a vote or did all go home for the Summer?

They didn't vote. The GOP senators hung out in Idaho for the week and as far as I know the session was over so everyone went home. Kate Brown passed around the idea of making it law through executive order. Others said try that and we will see you in court. As far as I know that is where it stands.

Latest posts