What is a F1 calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

Country Oaks

Reaction score
Can someone settle an argument for me? I've always been told and taught that an F1 is a calf whose sire and dam were registered animals from different breeds. Someone recently told us that to be a F1 there had to be Brahma involved in the bloodline somehow. I think he is an armchair expert but I wanted to get some other knowledgeable opinions from the folk here.
I'm so Gald I found this site.
:?:

Simply, an F1 is the First Generation cross from two purebreds. Sire and Dam do not have to be registered, just of two different breeds. The most common/typical/heard about F1 (especially in Texas) is the Brahman X Hereford cross, also referred to as Tiger Stripes. However, Brahman does not need to be a parent to be an F1.

cross 2 animals of seperate breeds => F1 calf.

brahman could be involved but just as much as an angusXhereford would still make an F1.

Country Oaks":1z0xvnaa said:
Can someone settle an argument for me? I've always been told and taught that an F1 is a calf whose sire and dam were registered animals from different breeds. Someone recently told us that to be a F1 there had to be Brahma involved in the bloodline somehow. I think he is an armchair expert but I wanted to get some other knowledgeable opinions from the folk here.

No Brahman need to be involved to produce an F-1.

Thanks to you guys. I was correct except for the registered part. Now I'm more informed and I've learned my "something new for today"!

Every offspring is an F1 in relation to the parents regardless of breed or even species.

Cattle people usually mean the offspring of parents of two different breeds. Being registered has nothing to do with it.
Do a search and you will find this subject has been discussed and cussed extensively on this board.

I did search for any discussion concerning F1 before a created this post but unfortunately nothing came up. What search criteria do you suggest to find it?

Most common f1 cross from our area are hereford cows breed to black angus bull.. this gives you black baldy calves

Country Oaks":3l3nu3w7 said:
i figure the reason he thinks that way is regional . cause most F1's in your area are half brahman. just ignorant to the real meaning

Country Oaks":1labp0zv said:
I did search for any discussion concerning F1 before a created this post but unfortunately nothing came up. What search criteria do you suggest to find it?
I would have thought F1 would have done it. You can click on my profile and all posts by me to get to some of the discussion, but you would have to wade through so much stuff that I don't think it is worth it. There are so many posts these days that things get lost.

PM me if you need more.

Ryder":1ltc4utv said:
Country Oaks":1ltc4utv said:
I would have thought F1 would have done it. You can click on my profile and all posts by me to get to some of the discussion, but you would have to wade through so much stuff that I don't think it is worth it. There are so many posts these days that things get lost.

PM me if you need more.

Too few characters to search for. I think it's a minimum of 3 but you can use the asterisks for a wild card after 3.

dun

Latest posts