What Fruit and Veg can you feed your cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

Highland Girl

Reaction score
I've been told cattle can eat Apples, Potatoes, Onions, Kiwifruit & Carrots. Does anyone here have any comments about feeding these? What else can cattle eat?

Thanks

Highland Girl

Highland Girl

Have fed potaoes, onions, carrots, apples, pears, turnips, & sugar beets. All are good feed but will need additional protein. All are high in moisture and will cause the squirts if fed in large amounts. No harm to the animals with the squirts, just high digestibility feed. Have had bloat when hungry steers were turned in on a truckload pile of cull potatoes. Bloat not a problem if cattle have other grass or hay and don't tank up on veggies. If I had a source of veggies, would feed all I could get. Minor chance of choking when attempting to swallow whole apple, pear, beet or turnip.

I'm not aware of any veggie type feeds that are detrimental to cattle. When feeding cull potatoes, the cattle seemed to prefer the rotten ones. Yuck...

Probably others who have fed other things.

Good luck & best wishes.

Brock

Cattle can eat nutricious corn and forage and hay. They can also eat fish meal, chicken poop, other cattle, bakery waste, distilling waste and anything else some twit who does not want to raise an animal properly can put in front of it's hungry face. ( Except my hay from last year, they will NOT eat that ).

If it is metal, and it will fit in their mouth,they will eat it.( The more sharp points the better ).Your vet will tell you this, repeatedly!.

If there is a profit in it, somebody has found a way to feed it.

How was a Highland Girl forced to move to, well, that southern part of GB?

AngusLimoX":1d3lyahl said:
How was a Highland Girl forced to move to, well, that southern part of GB?

Highland Girl looks after highland cattle and is infact a Kiwi girl who grew up on a new zealand farm and now living in England!

And the next question people ask me is 'Why the he** did you leave NZ to live in England?'

Highland Girl

Latest posts