What feed is best for heifer.

Help Support CattleToday:

bubchub

Reaction score
I did go buy a FFA heifer. Im wondering which brand of feed y'all prefer so I can get some before i have to go get her. She's 7 mo old Brahman and weighs around 600.

So far i have printouts on:
Pilgrim's
Acco
Bluebonnet
Big V
MFM
Hi Pro
Purina

All opinions are welcome and I am oen to any feed or I'm not against to making my own.

The main thing to look at is the ingredients. Then you choose the brand that is handy for you. Something with a high oats content would be desirable for that age hfr.

la4angus":3obinxys said:
The main thing to look at is the ingredients. Then you choose the brand that is handy for you. Something with a high oats content would be desirable for that age hfr.

Why high oats? Oats are known more for their fiber than protein content, and I'm curious as to your reasoning - although I suspect that the fiber aspect has something to do with it. Thanks!

msscamp":2rutvfhf said:
Why high oats? Oats are known more for their fiber than protein content, and I'm curious as to your reasoning - although I suspect that the fiber aspect has something to do with it. Thanks!

Oats to grow, corn to finish is a pretty simple way to understand it. Oats are lower in energy per bushel than corn, so they don't cause as much digestive upset either. Oats are 10-14% protein, so they give the animal plenty to grow with.

msscamp":210d8he0 said:
la4angus":210d8he0 said:

jkwilson pretty well nailed it.

bubchub,
Please check your PM for a Feed Program and Ration. It's my opinion that with a 7 month, 600 pound Brahman, you're going to need more of a finisher ration from the get-go.

Thanks for asking that question because i have the same question.The difference is my heifer is a Longhorn and just made a year old. I realize they can be thin cattle but this one I feel needs more weight on her.

Brahman and Brahman derivative cattle do better if they have more fiber or roughage in their diet. The main thing is to grow the heifer and not get her overly fat.

I have a real pet peeve with people getting the breeding cattle to be as fat as market animals. This affects reproduction and lactation latter in the animals life.

Keep in mind with a Brahman, don't use feed that uses milo, and make sure you give her plenty of hay with her feed ration.

Good luck!

jkwilson":17jjkcko said:
msscamp":17jjkcko said:

Oats to grow, corn to finish is a pretty simple way to understand it. Oats are lower in energy per bushel than corn, so they don't cause as much digestive upset either. Oats are 10-14% protein, so they give the animal plenty to grow with.

Thanks! :)

ACCO They have a feed developed for heifers called heifer developer thats what i feed and it does a great job

Latest posts