What do you wish you were told?

Help Support CattleToday:

momt5

Reaction score
hmmm, I'm daring to start a new topic: :cboy:

What is the one thing you wish you were told prior to beginning your farm?

Thanks,
MomT5

That I would NOT go blind :mrgreen:
On the serious side, I wish some one would have told me to do this 20 years ago. I really enjoy the learning and the work

That I should have learnt to weld or drive a semi and gone to Canada 20 years ago, that or how to avoid a steeling cheat, before you are back at square one again, but he ho, with out the bad the good would not be so good :)

Shoot. All I had to do was listen. Several generations of cattlemen in my history going back to the cattle drives out of TX. All I cared about was chasin women.

I swore I would never own a cow and swore I would never have a garden. I still don't have a garden.

That to make a small fortune in the cattle business I needed to start with a large Fortune. And I'm being serious.

That everything about cattle takes a long time. Definitely not for the folks that need instant gratification. On the other hand cattle teach you patience. Always something to look forward to with the new calf crop.

1wlimo":3irs35z6 said:
That I should have learnt to weld or drive a semi and gone to Canada 20 years ago, that or how to avoid a steeling cheat, before you are back at square one again, but he ho, with out the bad the good would not be so good :)

I would like to know how to avoid a stealing cheat. Or I would like to hear the story of the "Stealing Cheat"

Backhoeboogie and PdfAngus were thinking along the same lines as I was----doesn't matter what I was told, what was important was that I listen. But, like most, no matter what someone tells me, I have to make the mistake myself before I will believe what they told me is true

stocky":oqy5c7o4 said:
Backhoeboogie and PdfAngus were thinking along the same lines as I was----doesn't matter what I was told, what was important was that I listen. But, like most, no matter what someone tells me, I have to make the mistake myself before I will believe what they told me is true
Yup!

To not take a laxative and a sleeping pill on the same night!

AND

Isomade's first post

To get my soil and grass up to snuff before buying a herd. I'm doing OK, but I can sure see where it would have been a lot easier if I had planned a couple years in advance for the forage quality and conditions.

pdfangus":1v0vk8i6 said:
i WAS TOLD PLENTY....

BUT THEN MY HEAD AS ALWAYS BEEN SIMILAR TO 10,000 PSI CONCRETE.

:D Ditto. Sorry I can't come up with anything else. Everytime I think I'vve come up with something, I remember somebody, at some point, had already told me not to do that. :cry2:

I wish I had been told to not waste so much money on horny women. Oh crap! I was told that. Think of all the cows I could have had by now. :shock:

First would be to quarantine anything new for two weeks before exposing the whole herd to whatever the newbies bring with them, reducing the treatments to a few instead of all. Second, keep a year's worth of hay in reserve in case mother nature throws you a curve. Third, learn all I can BEFORE jumping in with both feet, as it seems you are doing. But even with the harsh lessons, love what you do or don't do it at all.

Latest posts