What do you think?

Help Support CattleToday:

DSC00082.jpg

DSC00081.jpg

DSC00059.jpg

Only things i see wrong is the topline, and with how big she looks I'd like a little more thickness in the legs.
But over all she looks like a pretty good heifer nice and long.

I am a real newby to showing cattle.. How much will her topline count her off and what is actually wrong with it. To me, it just doesn't seem very strong and it looks kind of "bumpy." Is that pretty accurate?

She is a very wide heifer, also. I will try to get a head on shot and one from behind her soon.

The topline should be straight with a sloped-down hip for ease of calving.
To me she looks like she has some sway in her back, where it goes down in the middle then bumps back up.
It doesn't seem too terribly bad.
I'd love to see some pictures of her set up.
Showing cattle is all about showing your animal to the best of it's abilities.
Try to grow some nice thick hair to make her legs seam thicker to match her body.
And as for the topline when you set her up try scratching her belly with the hook of the show stick,
near the navel, this can help straighten it out some.
But your heifer has some nice traits, and it seems like those may out-way her bad ones.
Long deep body, productive appearing udder, feminie, deep ribbed.

Thanks for all the tips and comments; this was very helpful!!

Here is a picture of her from the early spring, all set up.
GingerFay2.jpg

Your welcome, and she looks much better when shes set up, although her rear leg seems a little over extended.
Her back looks better, she should do good(:)

What did you bred her to?
The lim and Char color sure didn't shine threw...LOL...you are going to get a lot of dif. color calves for sure. You got your self a good looking heifer and hope you have lots of luck.

She looks like she should make a fine cow and produce you calves you can sell. I would get her feet trimmed, my guess is she does not have to cover allot of ground to get to her feed or water and she has gotten a little long in the hoof. Look at her hooves in the picture when she was younger, that is the length you want the toe.

sim.-ang.king: She is bred to a black Limousin bull, Pirelli.

VCC: She is too far along in her pregnancy right now to get trimmed; once she calves we will get those long toes of hers taken care of :banana: :banana:

How far along? We've trimmed feet as far along as 7 months pregnant with no problems.

Due in mid September. I can talk to my vet and see what they say. I didn't know you could trim that far along. I do agree she needs them done!

No we did not. Her breeder was John Mayer. Then I bought her from a small 4-H/FFA family that had her since last July.

Latest posts