What do you think ?

Help Support CattleToday:

My opinion is she is bred. But personally I would calve her out. Just gonna have to keep an eye on her in case she needs help.

Joy, we had something similar happen to us last year. In Jan we bought 2 heifers that had been penned up w/2 bull calves, all out of the same bull. They were only 11 months old when we bought them. My bull never paid Miss Willie any attention. She was bred and calved 2 weeks before I would have had her for a full gestation period. Boy, were we surprised. She had a big bull calf and my husband swears it stunted her growth. She was not very big to begin with and always seemed a little underweight. She took an extra month to breed back and just had a little heifer calf on Christmas day.

I don't think she is bred. I think it is a little hay belly. I have 2 that look just like her.

What'd she weigh when you bought her, and what does she weigh now? Might be able to get better idea of how old she is. But I don't understand some telling you to sell when there does'nt seem to be anything wrong, but maybe a hay belly. If you bought her as a single, and there was nothing wrong with her that you could deduce, I'm betting she was seen being bred, and rather than messing with her, they sold her. I'd also bet she is bred. I had a Braunvieh heifer calve 5 days short of 13 mos., unassisted, 70 lb. heifer. Christmas day had 19 mo. heifer give birth to 71 lb. bull calf, unassisted. But they were both easy calving Braunvieh.
But I'd keep her and just keep an eye on that potential little money maker. But that's jmo.

I think she's piggy. I would give a shot of Lutalyse and hang on to her for a month or so. If she's bred that will take care of that problem.I would put a little weight on her and then sent her to town. I wouldn't send her back to the sale before I got that calf out of her. Nobody else wants a piggy heifer like that,and she will prob. be docked a little on price the way she is now.

htrc":2hvfxr1a said:
I think she's piggy. I would give a shot of Lutalyse and hang on to her for a month or so. If she's bred that will take care of that problem.I would put a little weight on her and then sent her to town. I wouldn't send her back to the sale before I got that calf out of her. Nobody else wants a piggy heifer like that,and she will prob. be docked a little on price the way she is now.
im thinking its a little late for the lute now if she is ....did you see the date it was posted.?

I really didn't look at the date it was posted.Oh well momma never said I was smart. :oops:

Update on the heifer....I had a friend out to check her. She is not bred :D yeah.... He said it was bloat. I had moved all the sale barn heifers to a different feild. He said must have been something over there that she ate. He got her doctored up and she has been fine every since. I put out bloat blocks after that and I haven't had any more problem.
I'm not selling her yet or anything else for that matter. I'll wait until it warms up and see what they look like.

Latest posts