What do you think?

Help Support CattleToday:

rgv

Reaction score
I bought an Angus yearling last spring and bred 10 cows with him. Did a good job and everyone settled first time from what I could tell.

I like the looks of him, however wish he had a little more height. He will be 2 years old in March. I realize that that bull's don't reach maturity until 3-5 year range. Just wondering if the largest % of height is by a certain date in Angus. Horses for example reach adult height usually by 2 years old, however thier body fills out etc in the next 2 years.

Below are his EPDS -

What do you think?

BW WW MILK YW
Ind +3.6 +27 +18 +57
Sire +2.0 +34 +24 +82
Dam +5.1 +20 +12 +31

I keep all my calves and background through winter(spring calves). The YW's look good so I am hoping that even if they do not wean real heavy they will weigh out good when I sell.

Cows are all adult 5-8 years old. Black Baldies(Black Herefords - just a joke)couple of redneck cows and one black cow.

My next bull will probably be a continental, but wondering any one's opinion on my current line-up.
Black Baldies bred to and angus bull - does the white stay or just a hit and miss thing on the calves?

Thanks in advance

RGV

Absolutely hit and miss. We had a 1/2 hereford and 1/2 Angus cow(both parents registered) bred to the same angus bull (registered) two years in a row, last years calf - Solid black. This years calf was black with a white speckled face (Just like her moma).

It has been my experience that bulls will top out in height at 4, then continue to get heavier until 5 or 6.

Something I learned from my Dad and others in the family: If you are happy with the mature height of your cows and want future daughters to be that height, you want a 2-yr-old bull to be about that height. He will, of course, get taller, but if he was the same height as your cows when he was 2, he won't change the mature height of your herd through his daughters much. If he is significantly taller or shorter than your cows when he is two, then his daughters will be taller/shorter when they mature than what you started with. Of course, this is a very general rule of thumb, and we have always had British cattle, so I don't know if it applies to continentals or brahmans.

TennCattleMan57":31omq5at said:
Hit and miss for sure. Sometimes it might even come out what i like to call mottled or brockel
TennCattleMan57 is right! Hit and miss for SURE. The important point to consider is what kind of PERFORMANCE can you expect and are you going to keep replacements from the matings? I would like to see a higher WW and YW on the replacements. Milk isn't bad. In MY Opinion, if the Milk gets way up close to 30 and the rest of the Performance numbers are not high, you will lose beefiness and 'LURCH" toward 'FUNNEL BUTTS"! (There is that term again :shock: )

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts