What Do You Think?

Help Support CattleToday:

Crowderfarms

Reaction score
Being farmers, Ranchers, or being those that just do the before mentioned as a hobby,we all try to practice animal Husbandry right?? I mean we care about their Welfare and Health. What are your feelings on folks that have Cattle (and Horses) That never give them Minerals,never clip Pastures, Ignore fences that are falling down, all the Cattle are inbred,living on Broom sage.This fellow bought 11 rolls of Hay from me for 15 head of Cows and a few calves for the Winter and that was all they got, saw 2 dead cows on his Hill a month ago.Amazing. 15 head of horses on 6 acres, grazed down to the rocks, fed old cow hay.Why do these type folks insist on having Livestock, but don't give a darn about them? The State says they are not abused and will do nothing about it, as they have water and some old hay.These are cases that are not on the same farm, and different owners.Just wondered if yall' have seen similiar situations, and was anything done about it :?:

We had a guy around here that was so tight he wouldn't buy hey for his cattle this past winter. Last I heard he had lost somewhere around 40 head before spring. Complaints were filed and the guy did get in trouble but don't know what the consequences were. I do know a lot of his remaining cattle was sold at the stockyard. I have a friend and his mom lives beside this guy and said he was this way every year.

I think it's the nature of "horses-asses". In everything, by definition 50% of people are below average. Doesn;t matter if it's good sense, husbandry skills, attitude or whatever.

dun

Down here they are pretty strict on this stuff. They will come get your horses in a heatbeat. I haven't heard of them picking up cattle but I'm sure they would. If they look undernourished they will come out and ask what you are feeding give you a few weeks to show improvement. If you don't put out an effort they will bring a deputy and a trailer and get them.

Last August we had a neighbor forced to remove his herd from a piece of property that was so flooded that it couldn't support them. His bull drowned after getting caught in a fence trying to get some grass on another man's property. They were all neglected and bony. They were sold to another rancher about 5 miles away. He lives 70 miles away and doesn't pay any attention to the cattle. He just has them to keep the grass down. A cow and her calf were left behind and the only reason they are in good shape is my wife and I feed them hay and grain everyday. We give them minerals and worm them when we do ours. The calf is due for a bangs shot, but he doesn't respond when we suggest it. They are not ours, but they are almost like pets. They call out to us every time we come up the road. We just can't standby and watch them suffer. :mad:

the minerals & clipping pasture is nothing,but i have seen people that about starve cattle & have been turned in numerous times, but nothing was done. these people can never make anything on those cattle so how do they stay in business

You're assuming that everyone that has cattle is in it to make money. Around here, alot of folks have cattle / horses just for the ag exemption. My taxes would have been outrageous last yr, instead of just very high, without my cattle. Quite a few folks let other people graze cattle or put horses on their land, as long as they dont have to do anything or spend any money, they are happy.

Seems these people are everywhere. I was in the Extension office the other day looking for good hay sources this year. The man they gave as having really good hay, his cattle look like they have never been fed. They are bony all winter and in the summer, the grass is so short that I don't see how they bite it off. The pasture is covered with a yellow bitterweed. I don't think I will try any of his hay.

so people just want the horses an cattle an arnt willing to tend to them like that need just to say ive got them out in my pasture scott

My folks have a horse boarding business. I have seen things that just make me sick, like the town guy that bought a weaning filly and only provides her with crappy, dusty, or moldy alfalfa hay. We supplemented her with our good grass hay, and then his son got sick and he asked us to feed her for him. We refused to feed her that crap, and started throwing the moldy, dusty stuff in a pile so he could see how much money he was wasting. It worked. Another boarder brought in a horse that had got his back foot caught in the fence and did considerable damage. His hoof was deformed and was growing back under the foot, and curling up the side of his leg. When they finally got around to getting his feet trimmed, the farrier took off about 10 pounds of hoof. Yes, I know that for a fact. That horse should have been put down a long time ago. But, nobody will do anything about it. We have another boarder who feeds his horse whenever he feels like it. He finally made it out yesterday at 3:00 pm, and then fed today somewhere between 9 and 12. We sneak feed to that horse, too. I think part of it is ignorance, part of it is not knowing, but part of it is just a lack of caring and responsibility.

jgn":2n5qcsb4 said:
We had a guy around here that was so tight he wouldn't buy hey for his cattle this past winter. Last I heard he had lost somewhere around 40 head before spring. Complaints were filed and the guy did get in trouble but don't know what the consequences were. I do know a lot of his remaining cattle was sold at the stockyard. I have a friend and his mom lives beside this guy and said he was this way every year.

I think I live in the same area as you... I heard he is an older feller with alzhiemers ???? Also heard he was a tightwad...

I got two freebies (black angus) just this week. Fellow down the road moved his cattle from a leased pasture. He left 2 week old calves behind. He didn't even know the cows had calves. I called him and told him. He said he didn't have time to fool with them. He said, " if you want'em go get'em." I hate to see people call themselves farmers or cattleman that operate that way. I guess it's ok to profit from someone elses laziness.

a true farmer wouldve been right there to catch those calves wouldnt have said i dont have time to fool with them scott

Or there are other scenerios. A neighbor has own business. Buys new farm equipment, but to cheap to buy minerals. Then wanders why he has problems with his " skinny" cattle.