What do you do to make extra cash on the farm???

Help Support CattleToday:

carla

Reaction score
I'm interested in what everyone does to make money on the farm besides running cow/calf pairs. I would love to hear what other farmers are doing to make a few extra bucks on the side. I have backgrounded a few steers at times and I have neighbor that raises dogs for the various pet stores in town. I am currently getting ready to breed several head of heifers and sell them. What do you guys do?

I don't really know what "extra" cash is :lol: but, I sell rabbits, eggs,pigs (babies), ducks and the occasional chicken, in addition to working off the farm...at another farm.

Katherine

During the winter I sell firewood for extra cash . I do a little pay by the day guided hunting. Plant deer fields for local deer hunting clubs during the fall.

Here in Australia many open their properties to farm stays and day tours etc.
On our place we have off farm incomes and have day trips by tour operators via our tourist centre.
We operate a commercial herd of Hereford cattle that are straight bred as well as crossed with Brahman and South Devon and occasionally Angus.
We also operate a South Devon and a Brahman stud and we are developing our South Brahvon herd.
My wife also breeds Goldfish,sells eggs and sometimes sell Shih Tzu pups.
Having a reasonable sized block of land allows plenty of scope to earn a little extra income.
A house block in the city gives little chance of doing this.

Colin & Helen

We sell bull semen, occasionally board an animal after it's sold or for someone who has one off-loaded here for later pick-up. Also sell various livestock and novelty items on our website (accept online purchases with credit cards) and through E-Bay. Have on-site breeding for someone's cow that just wants one or more bred to our senior resident bull that we don't lease out. Also lease out our other bulls to area ranchers for cross-breeding.

We have a calve to finish operation. Heifers are kept to increase the herd and steers are finished out. We also have a farrow to finish hog operation. Guess you could say if its born here it stays here. Oh except for ducks and quinness. I sell them as babies. We also have our dirt business. Husband does the dozer work, I do the book work. Looks like we are going to expand that some though so I guess I'll be running a dozer too. Husband does emergency snow removal for the state during winter. I work as a cook for the school during the school year.

Sell firewood in winter. Prepare and plant deer food plots for deer clubs in fall. Sell peas, corn, tomatoes, okra,etc. to public in summer. Mow grass for deer hunting camps throughout spring and summer. Also grow several varieties of oaks in nursery containers to sell. Also plant plantation pine trees for other landowners in winter. Also sell pine straw. Also raise quail for quail plantations. Also....

We sell firewood year-round, sell to a lot of BBQ joints mainly. We also mow yards on the side. We will occasionally build and/or clean fences for others for extra cash. We have done some hot-shot hauling on the side also. I would like to get into more hot-shot hauling, and cattle hauling, but finding the work is difficult.