What do ya think?!

Help Support CattleToday:

holm25

Reaction score
Thinking of keeping a few heifers back this fall. What do you think of these? I have to get more pics of other calves later!

A lot of air under these heifers. Tho I like the one that's sucking on her mama. The last one should be in the feedlot.

I agree, the only one i'd keep would be the one nursing if she still looked ok standing straight.. Maybe #3, she looks ok....

Here is a pic of the calf that was sucking. It's about a month old though and she has grown a lot and is a lot deeper.

Thanks for your opinions! I agree there is a lot of air under them! We used a not so good bull last year so we didn't expect much. But the new bull should throw some dandies this coming spring!

cowgirl8":2x9kyyx4 said:
If you didnt like the bull, i'd surely not keep anything out of him...

Personality wise we liked the bull. He just was lacking a little bit. We will see what we decide when weaning time comes around

Sometimes mediocre bulls can produce best females or best calves. After all a bull is just a half DNA of the calf.

He was just a little smaller than we like. He only weighed around 1300 pounds at 2 1/2 years old.

For what my opinion is worth, if you are happy with the job their mother's are doing raising them, then keeping some for cows would be fine.

I think that's what we will do KY hills. We really like their moms.

One thing that is a must on any cattle we keep is growth, in fact, its the most important. You may have one cow who didnt grow well at first, and she contributes one calf to your crop.....but a bull is half, every calf is related to him. So if you have a bull that did not grow like you wanted, do you want your calf crop to be from those genetics? Do you want to pass that onto heifers you keep that will eventually produce your calf crop?

cowgirl8":m9j4s5cf said:
One thing that is a must on any cattle we keep is growth, in fact, its the most important. You may have one cow who didnt grow well at first, and she contributes one calf to your crop.....but a bull is half, every calf is related to him. So if you have a bull that did not grow like you wanted, do you want your calf crop to be from those genetics? Do you want to pass that onto heifers you keep that will eventually produce your calf crop?

My thoughts as well.

I like their length , depending on their age they could be bigger but they look ok to me. With this market you can sell them now and take a beating or if you've got the grass and/ or hay and keep them to spring; you might get a little more for them being bigger !

cowgirl8":109ngtia said:

Absolutely correct........I would add that the purpose of keeping replacement heifers is (unless you just want to multiply cattle) to IMPROVE your herd. Why would you go out of your way to diminish growth in a beef herd?

Latest posts