what do u think

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

this is my angus steer he will be taken to county and state fair. he isnt halter broke so these pics. don't do him any good
. HE came right out of our pasture. Ihave had cattle who were even crazier then this one and they turned out to be a grand champion.. An just so yall know there is about 3 feet of snow under him. we have about 30 steers at our fair what do you think he will place??

Picture_0161.jpg

Picture_0151.jpg

Picture_006.jpg
[/img][/url]

horseguy":13i96gwl said:
this is my angus steer he will be taken to county and state fair. he isnt halter broke so these pics. don't do him any good

Picture_0161.jpg

Picture_0151.jpg

Picture_006.jpg
[/img][/url]

he looks like he is about to fight or flight.

My first observation is that he looks awfully COLD. Second look I noticed there was not a tree in sight; then I noticed where you live..................BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrr

He looks like an Angus

He look like he will make a nice show calf. After you get him broke clip em up and post some more pic's. But I like he. The olny thing is he looks like he may need somemore bone, his legs are thin bone. But if you just weaned him and he's not broke that the reason he looks roof. GOOD LUCK

He doesn't appear to be show quality to me. His disposition if as bad as it looks makes that decision real easy on my part. Donkey's may get him to lead but that doen't mean you will be able to, remember that.

That the first thing I look for is if there a calf that won't to KILL you every time you go in the pen. You could have a calf who could go out a winner but if you can't get near him well theres on point in buying him and trying to show him.But a lil work may do it. GOOD LUCK

Cowboy 2.0":2s0qymv9 said:
Ship him.

I have to agree! I assume the fencing behind the calf is approx. 4-4 1/2 ft tall so this calf is a couple inches less now. what will he be at fair time? also if he is as crazy as you say and by photos I'd have to agree, why take a chance on getting hurt? A donkey isn't going to help if you cant get them together to start with, be rid of him and find another while there is time. Dont want to sound so critical but as a 4-H leader I see this all the time. L D

Cowboy 2.0":2huwetqu said:
Ship him.

I have to agree! I assume the fencing behind the calf is approx. 4-4 1/2 ft tall so this calf is a couple inches less now. what will he be at fair time? also if he is as crazy as you say and by photos I'd have to agree, why take a chance on getting hurt? A donkey isn't going to help if you cant get them together to start with, be rid of him and find another while there is time. Dont want to sound so critical but as a 4-H leader I see this all the time. L D

I hate to say it but that looks like sale barn material to me he looks wild as ill get out hes got that high headed ugly look Id take him to the sale and purchase something better quality it will be worth your while....

I agree with mturner, as well as Cowboy. This calf doesn't look show quality to me. It's especially not worth it since he's got such a bad disposition. I would say the "shorthorn" calf you've got is better quality than this calf...if you got him for cheap, you might be able to break even or possibly profit a little (i know people who've done this) just feeding him out and putting him on the truck at your county or major show.

cowboyup216":233mfrip said:
That one there will run over you, kick you, or just plain kill you as soon as you try and halter break him. No offense but he also looks like sale barn material. If you want to win you definately need something better than that. The shorthorn that you had wasnt much better either unfortunately. Im sorry but I agree with alot of people on here, you are wasting your time and risking your life, I have shown for years and years both 4h, louisville, american royal, nwss, etc. You can do much better than him with less effort. I hate for a kid to be risking their life. I wouldnt step in the pen with that steer. Not unless I had a gun. SHIP HIM!
Not trying to be rude, but how do you know that he is gonna kill someone. Not everyone can spend $10,000 on a steer. Yah, he can do better, but who knows what that calf will do on feed? He could be a fun 4H project even though he won't be GC.

Any calf that hasn't been worked around will be a little wild-eyed. Biggest question is what is their basic temperament like once you get them used to you. I've got some calves in my "herd" I'd never try to halter break; they're just skittish and they won't ever settle down. Then I've got some that'd be really nice, steady calves if I took the time to work with them.

Not everyone even has the money to spend more than $1000 on a calf. For a county fair this one might be fine. I'd probably give him a try, but then that's just me. Might have something to do with all these comments that he won't work. :lol: :p

I wouldn't use a donkey to halter break him, either, while I'm thinking of it. A post works just fine.

Latest posts