What color?

Help Support CattleToday:

El_Putzo

Reaction score
I've just recently (yesterday) found and joined this board and am finding lots of interesting and useful info. I haven't yet run across the answer to a question I have. I am planning to purchase a few Hereford heifers this spring to add to my dad's existing heard as he is retired and ready for us, his sons to start phasing him out. Anyway, we normally run 2 black Angus bulls with our AngusxSimmental cows but have recently decided to replace one of the bulls becuase of his lack of motivation. We are thinking about getting a Black Simmental to replace him. My question is, how will my Polled Hereford heifers cross with this Black Simmental bull? Will I get black baldy calves only larger? That would be great!

I'll leave the how's and why's to someone smarter than me. But in my experience with black simmys on hereford cows the result is usually a baldie. I have red calves and black calves out of the same bull. I have even had perfectally marked hereford looking calves. Might even get some odd marks on their faces. Talk to txag or Dun or someone else to learn about the homozygous and heterozygous end of things.

What do good yearling Hereford heifers go for these days. Is there much of a price break from registered to unregistered? I really don't need registered cows but if the price is right I might be interested? I suppose I might be interested in some good 2nd or 3rd calf-cows too if they are in good shape. Anybody in MO gonna have some good heifers or young cows to sell in April or May?

El_Putzo":2rnq065v said:
What do good yearling Hereford heifers go for these days.

Can't help you there. I have only bought one yearling hereford in the last 6 years. Maybe contact the hereford field rep in that area. He should be able to hook you up with reg or grade stock pretty easy.

you can buy a bred registered cow for only about $200 more than you can buy a bred commercial cow. So that's a matter of how badly your wanting registered stock. That 200 isn't much compared to the normal 800-1000.

I get 900 for a year old open heifer registered, 1200 for a 14 month old breed. I sell most at 6 months for 600 to 800 depending on the calf. Now this is what the market in my area will pay.

If your Herefords are the smaller stockier type, you'll really love a black Simmental bull on them. Yes, you should get black or black white faced.. depending on if the bull is homozygous or heterozygous black.

the info already given you is right on the money. if he's homozygous black, all the calves should be black with varying degrees of expression of the white face (baldie, mottled, brockled, coon-eyes, etc). if he's heterozygous black, half of the calves should be red baldies (again, varying degrees of white face) & the other half of the calves should be black baldies. good luck.