What can this be?

Help Support CattleToday:

tg

Reaction score
IMG.jpg

This is all around my horse mouth. sorry the picture is not clear.

No I did not do anything it just popped up and started spreeding. it does not seem to be getting any worse but not going away.

While you don't give the age of the horse it appears to be warts if the horse is a yearling they will go away on there own . this is caused by a virus. there is nothing you can do about it just let it be. If the horse is older I would look into a possable clover reaction as the animal has a pink nose and it could be sun burnt. in this case i would use diaper rash med. for it and give her shelter from the sun.

I was wondering if you had trimmed.

We have 5 horses, I trimmed 2 and a few days later those 2 had sores around nose and mouth, where I had trimmed. Was told that sores were due to a close trim and heavy dew on grass.

I just kept sores clean and applied thick amounts of ointment to keep sores from splitting and give relief, the sores quickly disappeared. I never had any problems before, but I'm very careful with clippers now. I keep clippers clean after each use, and have new blades handy......no more problems here.

The sores around my horse's mouth did not spread.

I also have a bald face paint and his nose tends to sunburn, I keep sunblock on him because he rips his face mask off and drops it in the pond. Putting on sunblock is a lot better than taking a dip in a nasty pond to get his face mask.

Hope you figure it out....

i cant really tell anything by that picture. looks like he/she got into some fireants while grazing. sunburn would be peeling and flaking off. could be warts.

Doesn't look really different (from the picture) from a sunburn. I notice the horse is light where he appears blistered. Just a thought. I have a mare that burns that way

Do I see wart like bumps around the nostrils? If so, it does not look like sunburn to me, I may be wrong, never saw anything like this before. How bout the problem the have had in Texas, running bill?

Alan

ive never seen sunburn look like that on a horse. at work we had a horse that was blind in one eye and he got into fireants and they got all over his blind side and he looked like that. but i'm leaning toward warts for some reason even though i cant see them good and have never even seen warts on a horse..

If I can remember i will take a picture next spring/early summer. This may be something different, but looks quite similar. Did not notice it on the chin and lower lip. My mare doesn't burn there. Anyhow...hope you report back to us after seeing your vet! thanks!

I'd definitely talk to a vet-- I've never seen warts that looked this inflamed--Vesicular Stomatitis is spreading thruout the country... The symptoms of it are excessive slobbering, then blisterlike lesions that develop on the tongue, lips, nose, or genital area....And it is contagious and requires quarantine.....

"I've never seen warts that looked this inflamed"

Same here. The redness bothers me more than the growths themselves. The fire ant theory makes some sense (though I have grazed horses and donkeys in fire ant infested pastures for years and never seen lesions exactly like that and never that bad. I hate to call a vet; but this looks like one of those times.

Brandonm2":33drco4q said:
"I've never seen warts that looked this inflamed"

Same here. The redness bothers me more than the growths themselves. The fire ant theory makes some sense (though I have grazed horses and donkeys in fire ant infested pastures for years and never seen lesions exactly like that and never that bad. I hate to call a vet; but this looks like one of those times.

Thanks all, my Vet was out of town on Vacation when I posted this, he is back now and I am out of town when I get back I will bring her in and let you all know what the case is

Thanks again.

if they still look like that its probably not fire ants. or sunburn either if its not peeling yet.

My guess is warts, if so they will run their course, but you should probably have the vet give you a real diagnoses not an opinion like mine.

Just wondering, did you ever get a diagnosis regarding the blisters on your horses nose?

I had a horse several months back that had a similiar problem, I just figured he'd gotten into fireants or into some bull nettle. I put some fura ointment on it and it cleared up after a couple weeks.

If it is not getting worse, maybe it is from some eating around some type of weed. My dog got sores like this but not so many or as large. I figured it was the thistle that she was in a while back. Just a thought...

Latest posts