what breed is my cow

Help Support CattleToday:

jpc199

Reaction score
I have a cow in my herd that is a blue roan in color. I purchased her so I dont know what breed she is but she is a dairy cow and has excellent dairy traits. she also milks very well at 75 pounds per day on her first lactation. What breed could she be? thanks

could be belgian blue but i kinda doubt it with that much milk.i would guess she's gotta be part stein to milk like that.

jpc199":2511ci5n said:
I have a cow in my herd that is a blue roan in color. I purchased her so I dont know what breed she is but she is a dairy cow and has excellent dairy traits. she also milks very well at 75 pounds per day on her first lactation. What breed could she be? thanks
How much are you feeding her everyday to get that much production?

cow pollinater":2b43qmaf said:
Blue roan on a dairy animal is most likely milking shorthornxholstein especially with that kind of production.

That would be my guess. There were a couple of brothers that farmed near my uncle's place years ago that had quite a few blue roans. They were Milking Shorthorn x Holstein.

cmf1":3l0b0amu said:
My guess would be Randall/American Lineback
Without seeing her I'd say you may have nailed it. I didn't think about it as they're pretty rare but I had a customer ten years ago that crossed a few holstien cows that way and the daughters came out looking like linebacks and working like holstiens. They had a little less milk but with the fat correction they were good cows.

Side note: That same guy crossed a few dark coloered jersey/holstien cows back to a dutch belt and got some beautiful belted cows that looked like high production jerseys but black and belted. They weren't super stars on production but they pulled their own weight and were lots of fun to have around.

Latest posts