What breed am I?

Help Support CattleToday:

Fence was on. That's one clever calf - just look at her back. Most of them just run straight through and bellow if they hit it. Brave cow too, in the next photo in the sequence the calf is still in that position and they're touching noses.

Yup, 236 is *much* uglier than that in real life. She's over a year older now and I think she got brushed up and put on her prettiest face for the camera that day.

We quick milking a couple of years ago and are transitioning from Holstein to Angus. We're going to have about 50 100%AI holsteins bred to black angus bulls. We've also got about 60 black angus females. Am I asking for trouble from the holstein side? Or can I just keep using good bulls / AI to move on?

Lawson,

Wouldn't you be money ahead to sell the holsteins heifers for dairy prices and then go buy some beef cattle? Or AI the group back to holstein and sell them as springers. I thought around here they were going for around $1800 a head. You could buy a whole lot more beefers going that way.

The guy by me that was breeding up was only using probably local 1500 dollar bulls and probably too larged framed anyway. They are nasty though when penned up.

Lawson Farms":33mzc7jh said:
We quick milking a couple of years ago and are transitioning from Holstein to Angus. We're going to have about 50 100%AI holsteins bred to black angus bulls. We've also got about 60 black angus females. Am I asking for trouble from the holstein side? Or can I just keep using good bulls / AI to move on?
Lawson don't know where you're located but down here a holstein/brahman cross makes one hel of a cow.

We also hit a bad AI spell and cleaned up with a bull that threw some big big calves. I didn't want to give anyone trouble, so we've kept them and sold them a few at a time. Those holsteins that have stayed around are now all exposed to a BA bull.

Lawson Farms":3i10e4v6 said:
While I am not an extremest, I would use the thickest, smaller framed BA bulls on those Holsteins for next few
generations. You will make good progress in converting to a beef herd. If the wrong bulls are used, you will be
looking at a solid black Holstein looking animal several years from now.

mrvictordomino":1rm4amng said:
Lawson Farms":1rm4amng said:
While I am not an extremest, I would use the thickest, smaller framed BA bulls on those Holsteins for next few
generations. You will make good progress in converting to a beef herd. If the wrong bulls are used, you will be
looking at a solid black Holstein looking animal several years from now.
thats the way i see it,, if your trying to put out a raging house fire you wont get to far... carrying more than a bucket of water at a time,

Ah ha I have never heard it before. I was just wondering because that's my last name. I guess there's worse things to have you name mean lol.

when i was younger when folks said shes ""springing"" i thought it meant..... shes gonna calve in the spring.....years ago an old cattle and horse trader that just bought a few heifers...and was gonna sell em bred said,, gotta buy me a little ""peach orchard bull"" to breed em to... still aint figured that one out,, unless he meant criptorchid

ALACOWMAN":112ghj2p said:
when i was younger when folks said shes ""springing"" i thought it meant..... shes gonna calve in the spring.....years ago an old cattle and horse trader that just bought a few heifers...and was gonna sell em bred said,, gotta buy me a little ""peach orchard bull"" to breed em to... still aint figured that one out,, unless he meant criptorchid

I used to think the same thing. Used to be an old boy around here that would say "that boys lazier than a peach orchard bull." Still don't know what it means.

Latest posts